Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Pepse Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
My tune-up consisted of changing the plugs (installed Autolite 764 AP's gapped at .054"); badly needed as the 5 Autolite 764 copper cores were not gapped/undergapped and the number 1 plug was a Motorcraft Platinum with barely a center core. New plug wires: Advance Auto Xacts. Cleaned MAF sensor and throttle body. Ran some Seafoam through the 2 little vacuum lines atop the UIM. Changed oil and filter. Before all this I was getting around 25MPG and now I am getting around 25MPG; but it has better pickup. I do have 3 CEL codes; 2 for the upstream bank 1 H02S, and one for the EGR. Could these 2 items be causing my MPG to remain the same??

Later. Pepse.

'95 Mystique LS Young America, Moonlight Blue, V-6 ATX, LOADED. REMEMBER: Always fasten your seatbelt as it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Did you have any codes before you cleaned your TB and intake? I got an upstream O2 sensor code the last time
I used 3m's intake cleaner. Try clearing your codes then see if any of them reset.
My fuel economy didn't change with a tune-up. It did change when I went with Kumhos though. From that day I've lost a good 1 mpg, for some reason.

2005 RED GTO w/ M6 - Lingenfelter CAI - Corsa Sport Cat-Back - SLP LTs - C5 Pads
P
Pepse Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
I had those codes before the tune-up. But I could reset the computer and see if anything changes.

Later. Pepse.

'95 Mystique LS Young America, Moonlight Blue, V-6 ATX, LOADED. REMEMBER: Always fasten your seatbelt as it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Pepse:
d now I am getting around 25MPG; but it has better pickup. I do have 3 CEL codes; 2 for the upstream bank 1 H02S, and one for the EGR. Could these 2 items be causing my MPG to remain the same??

Later. Pepse.

the upstream 02s prolly meaning teh ones b4 the cats controll ur air fuel mixture, so Yes it woudl affect fuel milege and ur EGR can do that too

1997 30th Anniversary SS,Jethotts/ORY/GMMG, 160thermo, ,TB bypass, 1LE intake elbow, BMR STB, 32mmswaybar..21mm rear,BMR LCAs, PR,SFCs,TA,LT4 KM,255lph, shift kit
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Pepse:
I do have 3 CEL codes; 2 for the upstream bank 1 H02S, and one for the EGR. Could these 2 items be causing my MPG to remain the same??

Absolutely! btw your '95 only has one O2 sensor per bank and 25 mpg for a duratec auto is pretty good. But change them anyway, the rear one is a real PITA. You have to get at it from the top by removing the coil pack.

Dueling Duratecs '95 SE V6 MTX 0 Mods '04 Mazda6 S Wagon '03 Kawasaki Z1000 But thus do I counsel you, my friends: distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful! Friedrich Nietzsche
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
I get 25 - 26 MPG all the time. I wouldn't expect too much better than this. The codes, if new, were likely set by running seafoam through the intake vacuum. This works well and cleans well, but it does run rich and the O2's will pick it up. If they were there before, clear them and drive again. You probably fixed your problem, but the codes aren't going to reset themselves.

P
Pepse Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Yeah, I gotta do this stuff before it gets much colder. I just figured I could/should get as good of mileage as my 2 previous cars; '94 Taurus 3.0L 30mpg, and 92 Cougar LS 3.8L 29mpg. Strange, bigger cars better gas mileage. And my Cougar wasn't as econmical as my wife's '91 Cougar LS 3.8L, 32mpg (she still has it) which is what she gets with her '96 'Tour Zetec ATX. Oh well, newer and a bit smaller isn't always better. But, hey, I like my Mystique enough to deal with the lesser mpg.

Later. Pepse.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard