Next Thread
Print Thread
#1416332 10/20/05 10:36 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I had my driver side axle replaced today. and now when I drive and move the steering wheel it seems "loose". I mean, its not unsafe, but it seems way looser and easier to turn the wheel. I notice it most when I hit a rut in the road, and the wheel almost seems like its as light as a feather. Its annoying as when I'm driving along, used to the "tougher" steering wheel, and I hit a rut the wheel almost goes wild.

Any ideas what this could be? My guess is something is loose that wasn't tightened all the way. I checked the wheel looseness while jacked up, I even took it off and pulled on the tie rod and sway bar (the one that goes up and down along the strut). everything seems tight.

I also feel a bit of vibration through out the car when accelerating.

any ideas before I call my mech back and say its "loose"

97 T-Red LX ATX pre98 CF SVT front,SVT rear/side skirts FSVT wheels Custom Front Ford Logo (body Colour) 35% tint all around with sun visor WP With Metal Impeller? Elky Grills CTA Intake CTA Custom Dual Exhaust
#1416333 10/21/05 02:01 AM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D

You say easier to turn the wheel. Just a guess, but you might open the hood and take a quick look at the upper strut mount to see if it's tight. Mitchell OnDemand says to loosen the top strut nut by 5 turns. This is a time that a little bit loose is a good thing --makes it easier to get the strut out of the way of the axle shaft when it's being removed from the vehicle.
And you checked for play in the tie rod with your hand, also checked for wheel looseness. With your hands at 6 and 12 o'clock and at 3 and 9 o'clock?
Looks like you went over it pretty good.
Maybe the mechanic loosened up the tie rod when he seperated it from the knuckle, if he used a remover of the pickle-fork style?

2005 RED GTO w/ M6 - Lingenfelter CAI - Corsa Sport Cat-Back - SLP LTs - C5 Pads
#1416334 10/21/05 02:16 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I did do the 6&12 and 3&9 check. seemed solid to me. no play that I could see (it was also just giving a safety today as well, so they'd let me know if it wasn't safe).

I didn't check that plate, but I can ask him tomorrow to see if he even touched it.

thanks for your ideas. anything else I could do?

I mean, could it just me my imagination since its a new part that it would be smoother? probably not eh as it doesn't really have anything to do with steering.

97 T-Red LX ATX pre98 CF SVT front,SVT rear/side skirts FSVT wheels Custom Front Ford Logo (body Colour) 35% tint all around with sun visor WP With Metal Impeller? Elky Grills CTA Intake CTA Custom Dual Exhaust
#1416335 10/21/05 12:47 PM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D

Maybe somebody else has an idea but I can't think of anything else to add.
And I doubt that it's just your imagination. Changing an axle out shouldn't feel easier to steer, unless your old on was frozen-up or binding. Never run across that problem, plus you'd probably be feeling that vibration with the old part, not the new part.

2005 RED GTO w/ M6 - Lingenfelter CAI - Corsa Sport Cat-Back - SLP LTs - C5 Pads
#1416336 10/21/05 03:20 PM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Check out this thread: Vibration

You are the 3rd person (including myself) that have posted of vibration issues discovered after an axle was replaced. My next step is to get the remanufactured axles reaplaced w/ OEM Ford axles.

1999 Contour SVT #1966/2760, Silver Frost/Midnight Blue Koni Kit, Mille Miglia MM-S rims, B&M shifter, Stazi mesh, SFCs, optimized Y-pipe & TB, SS break lines, K&N drop-in, Infinity Kappa speakers, MTX amp/sub
#1416337 10/21/05 05:25 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
interesting thread. Seems all the same problmes. Mines ATX so I cannot say anything about clutch issues.

I will be seeing him later and asking him about OEM vs Remanu...

Its hard to explain it to him with out having proof or even a way to explain it. But the acceleration and touque load is the same for me. between 60-65 kmph

#1416338 10/21/05 06:21 PM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I am guessing that the way it is now, is the way it is supposed to feel. Unless something is not tight, the repaired axel changed the steering feel to the way it should be. You would hear clunking etc if something was not right.
I had this same thing happen with my last car. the steering was very light after the axel change. Could be that the worn link was putting unusual force on the steering...which is very likely on a FWD car. even though your steering is lighter, it doesn't mean the car won't handle.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard