Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
rearden Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Thanks for the help everyone. This happened in the evening, so the tow truck driver towed it to this garage and I talked to the mechanic about it the next morning over the phone. Therefore I never signed a work order or anything. The closest thing was that I authorized, over the phone, for them to replace the fuel pump @ $280 for the part and 4 hours labor. Does that help my case against them?

'99 Contour Sport V6 MTX
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
MOST CERTAINLY!!!

With the knowledge that YOU can take to THEM about the "wiring" of the fuel pump (what wire?? ) you can read up and then read them the riot act if need be (IF is the key word).

You never authorized additional work, and you never signed anything stating permission to go ahead with any additional work. Your case sounds like THEY are tying to hose you.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
definitely don't pay a dime until you talk with them. if they refuse to do anything about it, then ask to talk to the owner and if nothing happens then, you definitely have the right to take them to court. you saying you didn't authorize them to fix anything definitely holds more weight than them not having any proof that you told them to fix any additional problems (which you didn't). if that made sense, im a little right now, i tend to ramble (like i am right meow) when me and MJ have been hanging out.

Jake 96 T-Red SE V6
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Even Terry read this one.

"the nichols/chilton labor guide gives under 2 hours
for this,the cougar(drop tank),is just over at 2.2 hrs
labor..Just FYI!!!"

Tell them what the book time lists it for!! About $70 an hour is standard. $900! I'm totally beside myself. They think you're at their mercy. YOU ARE NOT!

Hell it's $1100 for a dealer to pull a trans and replace a clutch. A fuel pump with even doing it the hard way of dropping the tank is nothing close it to removing an engine or transmission.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
I have managed auto repair facilities for almost twenty years. Even if someone tells me " Just fix it, I don't care what it costs." I always call and tell them the estimate before I begin work on the vehicle. I checked on Alldata, and the fuel pump calls for 2.2 hours. My shop here in Minnesota charges $99.00 / hour. Add diagnostics of $99.00, the part at $280.00, and assuming a $100.00 tow, that comes to $696.00. That's alot of money, because I know we are not cheap, just really good. $900.00 is way out of line. In Minnesota, we cannot hold a vehicle if the customer demands it. Even if he refuses to pay, we have to release the vehicle, because it belongs to the owner, not us. If we want satisfaction on the bill, we have to take the owner to court to collect. This has never happened to me, but I know of it happening. Check the laws in your state. Also, you can dispute the charge with your credit card company, or stop payment on a check. Make them prove that their charges are valid. i don't believe they are.

B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
Parts Information

Part OEM Part Price
Fuel Pump
Fuel Pump
From 2/9/98 to 5/3/99 F8RZ9H307AE $185.58 Notes
From 5/3/99 XS2Z9H307CA $245.18 Notes

Labor Skill
Level Warranty Standard
Fuel Pump
Replace B 0.5 2.2 Notes
Does Not Include: Drain & Refill Fuel Tank.

I almost forgot. This is from my source for labor pricing. Maybe it will help, as it is an industry standard.

S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
personally, i would do as suggested above in regards to trying to negotiate the bill down to a more realistic price. this happens often to stranded travelers. my mom's friend got shafted in a similar fashion when her car broke down on the way to vegas.

as mentioned, you never authorized additional repairs, regardless.
iirc, there are strict rules (regulations?) for mechanics in how much they can charge for specific work. if the guy is a tard and takes four days to fix a two hour job, he cant just go and charge you $4000! as mentioned above, there are given times for doing the labor (body shops as well). I believe they can be fined by the BBB or whoever oversees mechanics for doing this.

unfortunately, if he doesnt budge on the bill, then youre stuck, for now. the police wont do a damn thing and no one else will either (on the spot). if he plain refuses to budge, then pay the bill and plan to take recourse later (in small claims court).

here's where it gets sticky....
if you argue with him or seem pissed, then he wont accept a check (his legal right). he may demand a cash payment from you. this is fine, just make sure you get a receipt that states paid in full, in cash.
ALSO, take a disinterested witness with you. like a co-worker, neighbor or similar. someone who wont "lie" for you (ie relative, buddy, girlfriend). you can take them too, but you need at least one un-biased witness to have rock-solid evidence of what happens when you go in there.

just because you agreed to four hours labor and whatever else, does NOT mean its in stone!! you are not a mechanic! you have no idea what it takes to fix cars. He is a licensed professional (assuming), he knows. you broke down far from home and took the recommendation of the tow truck driver (who is probably counting his $100 commission right now). pretty sure, this sounds like "undue influence" to me. someone in a "trusted" position (mechanic, doctor, caretaker, stockbroker, etc...) taking advantage of an unwary party.
my books are all packed away for moving but i did find this little snippet online.
"D. Undue influence
Short of duress, one party (the victim) may complain that his or her manifestation of assent to a contract was induced through the improper persuasion of another in whom the victim placed special trust and confidence. See R.2d Contracts 177. Improper persuasion may result from one or more of several factors such as constant pressure on the victim, an apparent need for the victim to decide quickly, unavailability to the victim of independent advice, and weakness or infirmity of the victim. Relationships creating special trust and confidence (often referred to as creating a fiduciary duty) include husband and wife, attorney and client, doctor or mental health counselor and patient"

now you dont go in to the shop, or court, claiming undue influence, im just showing you some principle to show you have a case.
dont even think about calling a lawyer, it wont be worth your $ and if you do have a chance of winning, you should be able to pull it off by yourself (in SC).

when you go in there, take cash or a money order, and your witnesses. explain to him what others above said (how much it should cost/how many hours). be cool, and if he wont budge simply tell him that you will pay him what he is charging you but you will be seeing him in SC to dispute the bill. (and contacting BBB) hopefully, he'll be smart and see that youre not some pushover that is just going to pay out whatever he charges.

if you do have to go to court, then you take estimates from every mechanic in town, including the dealership (which should be more expensive than anyone!)

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

R
rearden Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Thanks very for the advice everyone, it gives me a lot to go on. I now have a much better idea of my & his rights in this matter. I was going to pay by check, now I'll be sure to bring cash so he'll have to accept it. Tomorrow I'm going to get a written estimate from the Ford dealer on a fuel pump replacement, then when I go to pick up my car I'll show it to the guy and have him justify why he's charging so much more.

The POS has probably had great luck screwing out-of-towners who don't want to waste time and money pursuing the issue. Unfortunately for him, I'm not like most people. I'll gladly spend $800 to get $400 out of him, just on principle.

Oh, I forgot to mention the most important thing! This outfit is called "Ace Auto Services", located in Arlington Heights, IL.

I noticed there's really not any good websites to discuss share mechanic horror stories. Hopefully the upcoming "aceautoripoff.com" will change all that.

'99 Contour Sport V6 MTX
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
It seems like fuel pumps are a big problem with vehicles of late.

I had a 2003 Chevy 2500 van with the 6.5L gas engine that I used for a FEDEX franchise that I owned.

We had a fleet of nearly 30 vans, all pretty much the same drivetrains, some a few years older but all Chvey or GMC=same/same.

At 50,000 miles the freakin fuel pump went out and the vehicle only had a 3/30,000 warranty so...Guess who had to pay?...ME...

The part from Chevy was $350.00
The labor was another $300.00
==================================
Total cost was--------->$650.00

Mind you this was a 32 gallon tank that had to be drained and dropped to get to the pump,(Piece of plastic crappy part), and I watched them do it.
It took roughly 2-3 hours with all the time wasting ploys ...looking, calling his buddy over, etc.

The [censored] of it is that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE VEHICLES IN THE FLEET HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

Some went out at 15,000 miles= Warranty Claim.
Many went out at 32-35,000= Owner Pays
Many more went at 40-70,000.
Some went again within another 40,000=warranty from first repair.

I was so pissed that I wrote to General Motors and after much A-do they agreed to pay 1/2 of the repair cost.

This is obviously something GM knows about but wont cover until enough people complain and demand satisfaction.

Just my $.02
============================================================
$900.00 is way over the top.
I hope he at least gave you a big kiss.
============================================================

Gary

The Drake Equation States: N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L Meaning That There Is A Good Chance That We Are Not Alone.
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
I'm guessing the tow truck driver and the owner of the shop have an arrangement. I'm sure the driver is getting a cut out of this as well.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard