Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
i recently filled up my 80gb hard drive. I purchased a 300gb hard drive off newegg.com for $125, and moved all my data to that. All is well.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Kokopellian:
The drive on this one is 87% full and it has really slowed down. It's got a lot of programs on it and thousands of MP3s. We bought the laptop about 3 years ago and I it only has a 20 gig hard drive. Not to mention the RAM sucks as well. Playing games on this thing is a joke! My wife spilled water on the keyboard and it no longer functions. So I've got it hooked up to a conventional keyboard and mouse. Man, this thing just refuses to die! I'm such cheap bastich that as long as it's working I keep saying why get a new one? LOL. I hope this thing does die soon so I'll be forced into buying another.

if it ever dies... or you just dont want it anymore... SEND TO ME!!!! I restore laptops. I NEED a new laptop, even if yours is 3 years old, I could definately use it.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
my laptop is about 2 years old and is maybe 68% full. i need to clean the temp files out and defrag. haven't done that in about a year. if i can get 2 more years out of this one, i'll be very happy.

my old laptop is 4 years old and is 39% full. just cleared it out to give to my dad. stll runs well enough.

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
E
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
E
My new home 3D development PC. =)

Dual-Core AMD64, 4GB of RAM, All SATA Drives, Dual SLI 3D Gfx using Nvidia cards.
C: (OS) 120GB, 100GB Free
D: (Storage) 200GB, 29.3GB Free (oops)
E: (Storage2) 200GB, Completely Empty
F: (Storage3) 200GB, Completely Empty
G: (Storage4) 200GB, Completely Empty
H: (Development) 200GB, 106.46GB Free

Gotta love AlienWare...

Old system this replaces:

AMD-XP 2500+, 2GB of RAM, All SATA Drives, ATI x800 gfx.
C: (OS) 111GB, 11.6GB Free
D: (Storage) 29.3GB, 9.61GB Free
E: (Development) 100GB, 6.32GB Free

E1

1999 Cougar - Supercharged 3L 1992 Talon TSi - AWD Turbo 1992 Eclipse GSX - AWD Turbo
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by EternalOne:
My new home 3D development PC. =)

Dual-Core AMD64, 4GB of RAM, All SATA Drives, Dual SLI 3D Gfx using Nvidia cards.
C: (OS) 120GB, 100GB Free
D: (Storage) 200GB, 29.3GB Free (oops)
E: (Storage2) 200GB, Completely Empty
F: (Storage3) 200GB, Completely Empty
G: (Storage4) 200GB, Completely Empty
H: (Development) 200GB, 106.46GB Free

Gotta love AlienWare...

Old system this replaces:

AMD-XP 2500+, 2GB of RAM, All SATA Drives, ATI x800 gfx.
C: (OS) 111GB, 11.6GB Free
D: (Storage) 29.3GB, 9.61GB Free
E: (Development) 100GB, 6.32GB Free

E1

You know, if you configured those 4 200gb drives in a raid 5 array, your overall performance would shoot up quite a bit. Just partition them as you feel necessary and enjoy the on-line redundancy of your hard work (and increased speed to boot!). As for the 120... There isn't really much you can do with it other than hold things you don't use too often.

The big thing I've been preaching to all of my buddies lately that are going out and getting the latest and greatest processors and so forth, is that for a while now, the hard disk has been the slowest link in the chain.

-06 GTO Torrid Red/M6 -98 LS with BPU -05 Honda Odyssey EX-L mv .zig ..\for\great\.justice
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
I have an old Gateway computer from 1997 that I still use now and then.
6 GB hd, which is now nearly full.
I think mp3's took up a good chunk of that space (burned from purchased cds).

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Dell P4 2.6GHz

C: 30GB - 1GB free
D: 160GB - 200MB free

Constantly dumping stuff to CDRs, only to fill up the drive a few hours later..

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Bob Parmalade:

You know, if you configured those 4 200gb drives in a raid 5 array, your overall performance would shoot up quite a bit. ...(and increased speed to boot!). ...

The big thing I've been preaching to all of my buddies lately that are going out and getting the latest and greatest processors and so forth, is that for a while now, the hard disk has been the slowest link in the chain.

Um... not quite. RAID 5 only increases performance IF (and only if) you have a hardware RAID controller that can perform the parity calculations (versus relying on the OS or other software driver to do that). And not to mention the whole losing an entire drive (200G in this case) just for parity. And... having a RAID5 storage volume doesn't affect boot time at all.

--JamesT

>--------------< --Chemguru 99 CSVT Frost /Mid. Blue 00 Suzuki SV650 Red, Naked
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by chemguru:
Originally posted by Bob Parmalade:

You know, if you configured those 4 200gb drives in a raid 5 array, your overall performance would shoot up quite a bit. ...(and increased speed to boot!). ...

Um... not quite. RAID 5 only increases performance IF (and only if) you have a hardware RAID controller that can perform the parity calculations (versus relying on the OS or other software driver to do that). And not to mention the whole losing an entire drive (200G in this case) just for parity. And... having a RAID5 storage volume doesn't affect boot time at all.

--JamesT

Well, first off, software raid is a joke. I'd never even consider it. Second, a 200G drive is about $100. You could easily blow that on extra ram, or a processor that's 200mhz faster to ATTEMPT a noticable gain. Third, if you made it all one volume, it would decrease boot time. That extra 100 (or 120?) drive would just be a dingleberry in the system for archival.

-06 GTO Torrid Red/M6 -98 LS with BPU -05 Honda Odyssey EX-L mv .zig ..\for\great\.justice
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard