Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#1411940 10/17/05 05:21 PM
S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
Originally posted by neelnug:

The basement has a french drain and a perimeter drain. Since I have moved all of the outlet pipes out farther my basement has been very dry.

The perimeter drain, did you have it done, do it yourself, or was it already done when you purchased the home? I am contemplating installing a perimeter drain.

Sorry about the threadjack!

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
#1411941 10/17/05 08:04 PM
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by Shaggy:

The basement has a french drain and a perimeter drain. Since I have moved all of the outlet pipes out farther my basement has been very dry.

The perimeter drain, did you have it done, do it yourself, or was it already done when you purchased the home? I am contemplating installing a perimeter drain.

As am I. I actually watched one of those Saturday morning shows on PBS where they take letters from viewers, then go out and help fix their problems. They dug a ~2' trensh along the side of this guy's foundation, lined it with plastic, laid down the ~5" PVC pipe with holes in it for drainage, ran it out at a slight down grade to his woods, then covered the pipe back up with rocks.

I've got an Amish basement, where the cement was laid in sections, and it doesn't have the best seal. So I will occasionally get moisture in my unfinished basement. I don't even want to tear the old wood paneling off of that wall to see what is behind it. But I plan on doing a similar drainage technique in the spring, seal up the basement walls, and hopefully finish it.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
#1411942 10/17/05 11:56 PM
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Check your title insurance. Assume your solicitor was sharp enough to talk you into it.

Pull your policy and READ carefully and thoroughly; mine covered HIDDEN, undisclosed, NOT OBVIOUS defects, including mold.

1 VERY large jug of Javex sprayed, undiluted kills mold.

#1411943 10/18/05 03:16 AM
S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

As am I. I actually watched one of those Saturday morning shows on PBS where they take letters from viewers, then go out and help fix their problems. They dug a ~2' trensh along the side of this guy's foundation, lined it with plastic, laid down the ~5" PVC pipe with holes in it for drainage, ran it out at a slight down grade to his woods, then covered the pipe back up with rocks.
Mark

Mark, that's exactly what I was going to do, less the plastic lining - didn't know about that. My main problem is the alley between my house and my neighbor's isn't really wide enough to get heavy earth movers in the back. In other words, all digging, all the time, by yours truly.

#1411944 10/18/05 12:19 PM
C
coatsy Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
AS always excellent stuff, thanks a lot to everyone that replied.
I am going to be digging around the foundation north and west walls, and re parging and wrapping a rubber membrane around, install what is call Big 0 and then fill and landscape accordingly. Thanks alot for all the advice.

1999 Mystique Sport 2nd owner bought it in Sept 03
120000km 4 door, leather, loaded pics on cardomain, coatsy
#1411945 10/18/05 01:33 PM
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Mark, that's exactly what I was going to do, less the plastic lining - didn't know about that. My main problem is the alley between my house and my neighbor's isn't really wide enough to get heavy earth movers in the back. In other words, all digging, all the time, by yours truly.

I hear ya! I have more than enough room to get earth movers in to dig, but I'm too cheap so I'll be doing it all by hand. The plastic lining is to keep water away from the foundation, and to direct the water down to the drainage pipe.

Just curious, where do you plan on running the water to? Do you have any sort of a downgrade in your property where the water can run out to the street, or........ to your neighbor's foundation j/k!

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
#1411946 10/18/05 01:59 PM
S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
The front yard has a pretty decent downgrade to it, so that will drain out that way. But for the back, I'll send the water to my weird neighbor's gigantic, overgrown, mess of a garden. They need the water, or something.

#1411947 10/18/05 04:05 PM
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
Quote:

It was already done.. not very well but everything seems to work. I have a townhouse so two of my walls don't have full exposure. (they are stagged though so 20% of my wall is exposed to elements) Be careful about using that black plastic matting around your house also. The previous owner buried some to direct water away from the foundation. (under the deck) Over time the water pressure pushed it down creating a large puddle which eventially angled down towards the house.

05 Legacy GT Turbo 5speed 99 SVT GRN/TAN (sold) 06 Ford Explorer EBv8
#1411948 10/18/05 05:02 PM
S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
Oh man, thanks for the heads-up. I need to spend tons more time researching this and doing it right.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard