Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
PTAaron Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
I'm not really sure even where to start in diagnosing this - but I need it to work so I can get to work today! Car is a 99 SVT with 80k miles on it.
Here is what happens:
Turn the key - engine turns over, high pitched squealing noise like the starter doesn't disengage, car dies.
If I hold the gas pedal down slightly when I turn the key the car starts right up, still has the "starter not disengaging" sound, but it will idle as long as my foot is on the gas pedal. As soon as I let off the gas the engine dies.
The car did this once before, but on the third attempt at starting it it ran fine.

No CELs or anything - I'm going to hook up the OBDII scanner just to check anyway...

Any suggestions on where to start with this?

-Aaron 1999 Contour SVT #2553/2760 Order protein powder from www.trueprotein.com and use AAL229 to get 5% off!
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Try cleaning the IAC valve.

IAC cleaning
from Ray's UIM/LIM how to in Duratec Maintenance how to.

"Replacing the IAC gasket:
(From IAC faq)
Over time, the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve becomes sticky due to buildup from the EGR and PCV systems. It can stick partially open such that idle quality is adversely affected, and engine RPM's will not drop below 1500. For a while, blipping the throttle will restore normal idle, but this only works for so long.

The fix is to remove the IAC valve by unbolting the two 8mm bolts that hold it on and disconnected the wiring plug. If you are careful enough, replacement of the gasket will not be necessary. The gasket costs less than US $1.00, so it is no tragedy if you destroy it. Once the valve is off, spray it out with some carb/intake cleaner and make sure any gunky residue is gone. Reattach, and you are done. It is a lot cheaper than a new IAC, which runs around US $70. Note: Ford claims the IAC cannot be cleaned, but this is not true in my experience." Ray.

Last edited by Tony2005; 10/13/05 12:25 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
PTAaron Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P

Thank you for the fast answer.

IAC valve is the one that is on the drivers side of the engine against the firewall right? The reason I want to be sure is that i just checked at the bolts are 10mm on it, not 8mm like the directions there said.

-Aaron 1999 Contour SVT #2553/2760 Order protein powder from www.trueprotein.com and use AAL229 to get 5% off!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by PTAaron:

IAC valve is the one that is on the drivers side of the engine against the firewall right?

Yessir

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

P
PTAaron Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Thanks todras - I was looking at it saying "that looks like an idle speed control valve... but the bolts aren't 8mm..."

Problem is solved... that fixed it. I'll tell ya I feel like a complete moron, because if it had been my XR4Ti I would have figured that out in about 2 minutes on my own... "No idle - check vacuum lines... vacuum lines are OK... must be idle speed controller..." Duh!

Anyway, thanks guys! I missed my workout, but at least I can get to work!

P
PTAaron Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Thanks Tony2005! Posted my other "thanks" before I saw your post.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Always clean the throttle body when you clean the IAC so it will stay clean longer.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Mine just did this today too. I cleaned the IAC a few weeks ago, though. What about the sound the starter makes? i plan to get that looked at very soon. hopefully no damage to the flywheel. once the car warms up the idle is fine. does this have anything to do with the colder weather? why did it do that since i cleaned the iac valve not too long ago? do i need to clean it again?

98' Black SVT Build #1915 of 6535
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
"What about the sound the starter makes? i plan to get that looked at very soon. hopefully no damage to the flywheel."
Try this thread.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1030584&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

"once the car warms up the idle is fine. does this have anything to do with the colder weather?"
Yes.

"why did it do that since i cleaned the iac valve not too long ago?"
Read Big Jim's post above.

"do i need to clean it again?"
Probably.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard