Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
99 Mercury Cougar V6 (Neco has been down since Friday)

Well for the past week i have been hearing this noise coming from the drivers front tire. So i jack her up and come to find that theres about 1/4" worth of play in the tire. So my first idea was the axle nut, so i got one today and tq it down to spec and still have play. I looked at the ball joint and see that its basically completely rotted away with no greese in it. So i go about take the knock off and all the other stuff that has to come out.

Now my question is: Is it the ball joint or the wheel bearing making the play??? I will be replacing the ball joint no matter what since its gone but i dont want to put it all together to find it was the bearing!

If i grad the lug studs with one hand and pull as i am spining the lug studs i can move it back in forth. (It= the circle plate that the lug studs are attached to) Is it regular to have play there? I would think not!

THANKS A LOT!

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
See if the ball joint has play, you should be able to feel it knock if it is causing the play. A wheel bearing needs to be pressed in.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
You can move it "back and forth"??

Clarify back and forth..

towards the tranny, then away from the tranny, all while staying snug from any "engine to rear bumper" direction of movement?

twistable as in the beginning movements of turning thw steering wheel to turn the car? (pivoting on an axis?)

Up/Down movement as in "tilt steering"? (lifting the lugs, then dropping them causes movement?)

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I could take the wheel with my hands and from top and bottom move the wheel. Thats where the play is.

Im going to replace the ball joint start than put it all back to together and c if the play is gone. If not than i will replace the bearing...

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
If you grab the tire on top and bottom and can move the bottom and top in and out...then yes the lower ball joint is gone. Replace both side of the car. You need to cut or grind off the three rivits that hold the ball joint to the lower control arm ( makes it easier to remove ) anyway. Undo and remove the pinch bolt and install the new ball joints with 3/8 by 1 1/4 grade eight bolts and lock nuts.While you are there...grab the wheel or tire at 3 oclock and 9 oclock and see if you have any play in the wheel that way as well. If you do...then you also need to inspect or replace your tie rod ends. Easiest way to check the lower ball joint is to jack up the car...put a bar under the tire and lift the wheel up and down keeping your one hand on top of the tire. A wheel bearing would give you a noticeable humming or whirring sound from the front end while driving.I think your problem is the lower ball joints.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard