Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Hi,
I have a 98 Contour SE, 2.0 automatic, CD4E transmission. Last year I had the transmission replaced and now I have some problems.
When the car is running at 20-30 miles/hr is suposed to change into the 3rd gear, right? It goes to 3000-4000 rpm but it's not changing. It did that for a couple of times then it worked fine for 2-3 weeks. Yesterday it started to do the same thing, basically it wont go into the 3rd gear...the check engine light is off...Do you think is the transmission again?
Please help me, I dont wanna spend another 1500$ on another cd4e.

Thanks a lot guys.

degetel77

Contour '98 SE 2.0L Zetec
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome. Try the cheap easy ones first. Scan for CELs even if the light is not on. Check ATF level, check condition (should be clear pink/red); buy a quart to compare. Might want to try the TSS and MLPS. The ATF is $30, TSS is $25 and MLPS is $50. All with how tos on this site.

Edit. ATF change
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tranny&Number=992476&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=all&vc=1

Turbine Shaft Speed sensor.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tranny&Number=257675&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

Manual Level Position Sensor
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1040336&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
D
OP Offline
D
I'm sorry to bother you guys, I just wanted to confirm I'm klooking for the right parts before I order them.
I have 6L8Z-7F293-AA Manual Level Position Sensor and 1S7Z-7M101-KA Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor.
Will these work on my 98 Contour SE ATX?

Thanks a lot again.

Contour '98 SE 2.0L Zetec
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by degetel77:
...I have 6L8Z-7F293-AA Manual Level Position Sensor and 1S7Z-7M101-KA Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor.
Will these work on my 98 Contour SE ATX?

Thanks a lot again.

Yes, I hope you are ordering from our parts-go-to guy Bill Jenkins at Team Ford (you get a huge discount).

www.teamfordparts.com

Edit. Oh and the part number for TSS says it is a VSS (but the VSS is actually $45 or so). So if the part cost less than $25, you know it is the correct one. And the TSS says for Escape, Mariner 2001. Be cool. I PMed Bill Jenkins when I ordered mine and he confirmed it was the correct part.

Another TSS thread
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1030582&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Last edited by Tony2005; 10/14/05 07:10 PM.

B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
I have had the same problems and more with my 98 Contour. I hit this site and got alot of good suggestions, but no one ever replied who had had this problem and had completed the repairs that actually fixed the problem. I know a guy who rebuilds transmissions and he said he sees this all the time and the transmission would have to be rebuilt. I didn't buy this based on how the transmission was acting. I took a suggestion from this site and replaced the transmission range selector switch. The replacement part was designed a bit differently from the OE part, and it required removing the t-stat housing and some hoses, and the part is adjustable with slotted mounting holes. I took my chances and mounted it as close to the position of the original and resigned myself to possible disassembly and adjustment. No need. It shifted perfectly. None of my old symptoms returned and the vehicle shifts smoother and is more powerful at moderate RPMs. As an added bonus, my inoperable cruise control now works. The PCM just didn't know quite which gear to be in and caused all these issues. Had I had the transmission rebuilt, I would have had the same problem and would have been much poorer in addition to royally pissed! I work in the auto repair industry and bought the part at a discounted price. I can't believe I only spent $30.00 and 1/2 hour to fix this. Hell, the test drive was longer than the repair!

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by branchingout:
...I took a suggestion from this site and replaced the transmission range selector switch. .....

...aka Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS).

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard