Next Thread
Print Thread
P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
Hi Guys,

I signed up for this site a couple of years ago (roughly), but have not posted much. It has been a wealth of knowledge to me though, as I have read a lot (even before purchasing my SVT).

Anyway, last December I hit a patch of black ice with my '98 SVT and spun into a ledge on the side of the road. Unfortunately I only had liability insurance, and it was my fault, so I was stuck with the repair costs.

I posted a message on here back then stating what had happened, and the damage to the car, and what I should do. Due to the damage, many thought it would be best to part it out.

Well believe it or not I just recently received an estimate for the repair of the car (yeah mostly due to my laziness).

The Estimate totals between $1900 - $2200 depending on if some of the torsion bar type pieces for the left side rear wheel will fit off of a parts car they have.

The damage to the car is basically the whole drivers side. Front fender, door, rear door (quarter panel may be okay), windshield, and the worst is that the "Pillar" (I guess you'd call it) that runs up the side of the windshield is pushed in quite a bit. They said they can get that back in place with a frame machine.

The work includes repair/replacement of the damaged parts, labor, and paint.

The car as I said is a 1998 SVT. It has 99,000 miles on it and runs very good.

It's hard to justify putting $2000+ into a car that I only paid around $5500 for, but on the same note I can't buy another decent car for $2000, which is all I have to invest to have my SVT back.

What do you guys think?

Just curious.

Thanks.

-Josh

1998 Black SVT 1992 SHO www.CVBOYZ.com
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
The car is ohterwise sound from what you are saying.

This will focus on how much faith you have in the repair shop. If you have studied them and come out feeling confident that they can properly fix the car, I think I would go for it.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by PhearCVBz:
Hi Guys,

I signed up for this site a couple of years ago (roughly), but have not posted much. It has been a wealth of knowledge to me though, as I have read a lot (even before purchasing my SVT).

Anyway, last December I hit a patch of black ice with my '98 SVT and spun into a ledge on the side of the road. Unfortunately I only had liability insurance, and it was my fault, so I was stuck with the repair costs.

I posted a message on here back then stating what had happened, and the damage to the car, and what I should do. Due to the damage, many thought it would be best to part it out.

Well believe it or not I just recently received an estimate for the repair of the car (yeah mostly due to my laziness).

The Estimate totals between $1900 - $2200 depending on if some of the torsion bar type pieces for the left side rear wheel will fit off of a parts car they have.

The damage to the car is basically the whole drivers side. Front fender, door, rear door (quarter panel may be okay), windshield, and the worst is that the "Pillar" (I guess you'd call it) that runs up the side of the windshield is pushed in quite a bit. They said they can get that back in place with a frame machine.

The work includes repair/replacement of the damaged parts, labor, and paint.

The car as I said is a 1998 SVT. It has 99,000 miles on it and runs very good.

It's hard to justify putting $2000+ into a car that I only paid around $5500 for, but on the same note I can't buy another decent car for $2000, which is all I have to invest to have my SVT back.

What do you guys think?

Just curious.

Thanks.

-Josh

If you dont want the SVT I'll take it off your hands. I would fix the car if I where you.

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Fix it, $2000 will not get you another good SVT.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:

.. or any other good car.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:

.. or any other good car.

As he said. It'll get MY car... You know, the Merc-0-Matic!

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard