Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Berkel:

One last question, if the car has been maintained great up until this point, can I muster a good 120k miles out of the car if I perform all the maintenance check points and keep things runnin well?

Sure! No problem.

If you're a bit lucky, that is...

. . . Two zetec Contours, two blown head gaskets... for some reason I have a Japanese car now. anybody in California want a Diehard Gold 100 month battery? inquire by PM.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
.. if the car has been maintained great up until this point, can I muster a good 120k miles out of the car if I perform all the maintenance check points and keep things runnin well? I don't intend on beating on it.

I'm gonna need this car to last me a while, ..

A resounding YES.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
Berkel Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Tony2005:

A resounding YES.

Awesome, a lot of people i talk to in person seem to tell me that it's far downhill after 70 grand, maybe they just havent seen too many SVT's

Also, I just found out that the 'waterpump' AND the 'struts' still havent been replaced.
The car is in excellent condition, but I can see those two parts going soon. He has used mobil 1 synthetic oil since 5000 miles. Included is an extra set of wheels and tires and everything looks perfect on the car.

But I don't think it's worth $7500 when the struts and waterpump are going to need to be swapped very soon. Should I discuss this with him and see if I can get the price reworked?

98.5 T. Red Contour SVT Lowered on FSVT's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154233
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
...But I don't think it's worth $7500 when the struts and waterpump are going to need to be swapped very soon. Should I discuss this with him and see if I can get the price reworked?

Yep. The worst he could do is say no.

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Tony2005:

A resounding YES.

Awesome, a lot of people i talk to in person seem to tell me that it's far downhill after 70 grand, maybe they just havent seen too many SVT's

Not to jack the post..........but would buying a 98cSVT with 128,000 miles be a bad buy for $3000?

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by jtour:

Not to jack the post..........but would buying a 98cSVT with 128,000 miles be a bad buy for $3000?

If it works well, run, don't walk to pick it up, and don't tell Berkel where it is.

M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
I picked up my 99 CSVT in april with 114xxx miles on it. since then im up to 130,xxx (yes, 16,000 miles that quick). lets see, whats wrong with the car....

-ebrake cable is broken (bought it that way)
-replaced 1 O2 sensor on the back, what a PITA
-when replacing the pulg wires i broke a valvecover (dont ask) and replaced that.

and thats pretty much it. i dont remember anything else that has gone bad on the car. otherwise, i usually get about 30 on the highway, 22 in town, and i do drive "spirited." but otherwise it has been a blast. i switched over to mobil 1 also when buyign the car. no problems, and i do a few 600-700 miles trips a year between MN and MI.

i was in the same boat as you. i was looking to spend about 5000 or so, and i knew i could get a civic and get better gas milage reliability, but there is alot of preventive matinence that you must do on a honda as well. i got the SVT becasue it is different. it turns alot of heads, and sounds great. but im expecting mine to go for quite a while. 130,xxx on it and it isnt even breaking a sweat. still quiet and smooth. good luck with it!

B
Berkel Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by MNstuckinMI:
I picked up my 99 CSVT in april with 114xxx miles on it. since then im up to 130,xxx (yes, 16,000 miles that quick). lets see, whats wrong with the car....

-when replacing the pulg wires i broke a valvecover (dont ask) and replaced that.

and thats pretty much it. i dont remember anything else that has gone bad on the car. otherwise, i usually get about 30 on the highway, 22 in town, and i do drive "spirited." but otherwise it has been a blast. i switched over to mobil 1 also when buyign the car. no problems, and i do a few 600-700 miles trips a year between MN and MI.

i was in the same boat as you. i was looking to spend about 5000 or so, and i knew i could get a civic and get better gas milage reliability, but there is alot of preventive matinence that you must do on a honda as well. i got the SVT becasue it is different. it turns alot of heads, and sounds great. but im expecting mine to go for quite a while. 130,xxx on it and it isnt even breaking a sweat. still quiet and smooth. good luck with it!

Gives me hope
Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm set on this car, hoping to talk the price down a few hundred. Hopefully no one changes my mind and finds a nice civic

98.5 T. Red Contour SVT Lowered on FSVT's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154233
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by MNstuckinMI:

Man, I had no idea you're SVT had that many miles on it, the thing looks so beautiful still, it turns my head every time I see it in town... Normally I only see you downtown.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
yeah, its got a few rounds on it. thanks! you probably only see it near downtown cause i live down there! but i get around midland some. like....... over to meyers, and northwood. i do need to clean my wheels really well though. i kind of let it get away from me and when i washed it today, not all the brake dust is coming off. so i need to spend some time on them soon. but im hoping that it goes for a long time!

Joel

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard