Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1406265 10/08/05 01:58 AM
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Hello everyone,

I am going to store my car for the wintertime. Do you have any tips?

Thanks,
Derek

1999 Ford Contour SE (Black) S&B Powerstack Air Filter Brullen Cat-Back Exhaust System (Loud Setup) Sylvania SilverStar Headlight Bulbs MSN Messenger: ddasilva99@hotmail.com
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Change oil before storing it.

Fill the tank with fuel and add fuel stabilizer. If at all possible, store it indoors, even if it isn't heated.

Tires will loose roughly 1 lb of pressure every month or two and the pressure will drop with the temperature so make sure the tire pressure is checked bdfore storage and perhaps leave them as much as 5 lbs high. If possible, place on jack stands to take load off from tires.

If parked outside, if possible, remove battery and store inside even if not in a heated area. Trickle charge battery at 2 amps overnight before reinstalling. Do the same if the battery is left in the car.

Confirm condition of coolant including that it will protect low enough for storage conditions.

Top off all fluids.

Put it away clean, with fresh wax if possible.

Cover if you can.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Big Jim:
If at all possible, store it indoors, even if it isn't heated.

I know of a couple of people that would park their car in the bedroom if they could get it in there......

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
When mu Mustang goes away, I do pretty much the same as Big Jim suggests. The only other thing I do is to put a tarp underneath the car. Was told this was a good thing to do if you park it on concrete.

98 Mystique GS V6 - K&N, projectors 91 Mustang LX 5.0L 00 Jetta TDI, Yay, I bought it !! 95 VW Getta TD - RIP: Nov.3,2005
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
The tarp is a good idea as it stops the cement from sucking the moisture out of your tires. I however think I heard that you shouldn't put the car on jackstands while in storage because it puts significant stress on the suspension and steering. If anyone can confirm this that would be great.

** Mike ** "You might beat me in a straight line, but I'll embarass you in the turns"
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by The EuroTour:
The tarp is a good idea as it stops the cement from sucking the moisture out of your tires. I however think I heard that you shouldn't put the car on jackstands while in storage because it puts significant stress on the suspension and steering. If anyone can confirm this that would be great.

Good point. I should have been more specific. Best to lift so that the suspension is not extended.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Also cover exhaust (duct tape) to prevent small creatures from getting in.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Thanks everyone

1999 Ford Contour SE (Black) S&B Powerstack Air Filter Brullen Cat-Back Exhaust System (Loud Setup) Sylvania SilverStar Headlight Bulbs MSN Messenger: ddasilva99@hotmail.com
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I'm worried about flat spotting the tires, but jsut as worried about the stress put on the car if placed on jack stands, how can i lift the car off the ground without putting stress on the suspension and steering short of pacing it on tire-less rims.

~Alex Ex- SVT Driver627 MUST SELL!!!LOCAL: Pre-98 MOLDED trunk Polk db speakers Corolla parts LED Underbody Kit PM 2000 Green CSVT gone on 2/17/06 2001 Toyota Corolla (SHE RUNS!!!) 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I guess you could set the jackstands under the suspension to relieve the stress. You just shouldn't let it hang at full droop for a long time.

** Mike ** "You might beat me in a straight line, but I'll embarass you in the turns"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard