Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
I was going to use the motorcraft filter on the next change...but was wondering do they have the poor drainback issues? If so, I will try and find a K&N...they are sometimes hard to come by up here.

thanks
Richard

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
from reading past things about the Motorcraft filter its the same filter as the Puralotor PureOne. IMO, its the best filter our there for the money.

Ryan Trollin!
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
pretty sure motorcraft filter have a antidrainback valve so that oil remains in the filter so that it is provided to the motor quicker after start up

for the price the motorcraft filter is one of the best as is basically a Purolator filter

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
If anything, the MC filter will have no issues, having been spec'd for this application.

I think it was on a SHO, that people said the internals on the MC and the Purolator were the same, but that the MC had the drainback valve in the right place. That is, there was something funky about the location of the filter, and Ford moved the db valve from one end of the filter to the other to avoid some kind of issue they were having. Purolator and others had not, or so the story goes.

Of course, the internet message board disclaimer stands: This is not firsthand knowledge on my part, and I don't know if the info is still current, or whether it ever applied to our platform.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
The FL-820S is a Pure One cartridge (with silicon anti-drain back valve) in a Premium casing.

Like stated it's the best for the money. (~$4)

2 other excellent choices of better but more expensive filters are Mobil 1 or K&N. (~$9-10)

Filters to avoid like a bad plague!

FRAM (no drain back valve and glued cardboard media of small area )
Anything made by Champ (most generic filters, house brand filters, or what you get at an oil change shop) No valve, tiny cardboard filter area!

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Greg, do you know if it is only the 820 that is the same as the PureOne? or are all the MC filters (FL1A, FL400S, etc) have the same cartridge?

Ryan Trollin!
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
The FL-820S is a Pure One cartridge (with silicon anti-drain back valve) in a Premium casing.

Like stated it's the best for the money. (~$4)

2 other excellent choices of better but more expensive filters are Mobil 1 or K&N. (~$9-10)

Filters to avoid like a bad plague!

Anything made by Champ (most generic filters, house brand filters, or what you get at an oil change shop) No valve, tiny cardboard filter area!

What do you mean by "Champ?"

Champion Labs makes both the K&N and Mobil 1 filters. (I've spoken by telephone with their tech rep, who gave me lots of good info on both filters.) Are you thinking of someone else? Or do they also make some cheapies?

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
great, thanks for the replies everyone. That is what I thought. I have been using the motorcraft all along and will continue. I have read somewhere it is one of the best.

Rich

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

Yes and now they are sold everywhere! I ahve to go out of my way now to get something other than Fram.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Meijer switched from purolator to fram...i cried upon discovering this.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard