Next Thread
Print Thread
V
ven0m Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
V
I am the one working on the MTX into a 96 SHO. The MTX-75 is not going to work for me. For the following reasons:

1) The axle centerline is too close to the crank. I don't know if the duratec V8 has a wider oilpan or what, but the inner CV assembly would be running VERY close (like about .200") from the oil pan at the end of the center shaft.

2) The SHO's two dowels in the block are not both common to the MTX-75 (only one is), and a midplate was being designed to locate around the SHO dowel and contain the correct dowel for the tranny to mate to.

The big reason I am not going with the MTX-75 is #1 above, but there are various other reasons.

Regardless I can tell you that the Mazda 6s MTX (and it's flywheel-clutch and PP) will bolt up to the 2.5 and it uses the same dowels as the MTX-75.

Bonuses the tranny offers...

Slightly taller stock ratio's
SHORTER by about 1.25" (this is a big plus for my task)
Doesn't have the inherently weak stock diff of the MTX-75
Uses an EXTERNAL slave cylinder

Shift throw distance (on the tranny tower) is similar enough that I believe the Contour shifter can be used, some cable end magic would be necessary on the tranny end (bracketry and retaining only).

Another thing to keep in mind is there is a MazdaSpeed 6 speed tranny that can be gotten for the Mazda 6, so someday there may be a 6 speed CSVT running around out there.

Regadless because of these findings, I am selling some of my MTX-75 stuff (mainly the Torsen I bought planning to put in it) in the classifieds.

Anyone looking to do a swap of this type would have the joys of axles as the output spline count appears to be greater on the Mazda tranny (which is a good thing). Input shaft of the tranny is identical to the MTX-75. I will know when I am done if the Contour clutch master moves enough volume for the external slave of the Mazda's clutch as I already have the Contour master installed in my SHO and intend to use it if at all possible.

96 SHO 99 SHO
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Good information. Thanks.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by warmonger:

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
V
ven0m Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by warmonger:

No problem... Should anyone be seriously thinking of this, Let me know and I can post specific pics of the tranny as it is on the floor in my garage now...

Am I WAY off base on my price for the totally new Torsen in the Classifieds? I am just trying to get most of my money back out of my planned attempt of the MTX-75. I don't know yet but I may have a brand new SPEC Stage II clutch that I may be in the same boat with. Unless I end up using the 'tour Flywheel and clutch with the Mazda tranny (which is a remote possibility since the input shaft and flywheel diameter are the same).

96 SHO 99 SHO
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I haven't looked at your pricing but I would guess $500 would be the max you could get for a totally new one as people can get one new shipped from a dealer for less than $600.

You can ship the Torsen in a priority mail, prepaid flat rate box with the US postal service for $7.95.

Yes I know because I shipped mine to Torsen that way. Anything that can fit in the prepaid priority box costs the same regardless of weight!
So if you told someone $508 shipped for a new diff, I'm sure they'd take it.

Can't say say much on the Spec Stage II. Most people on here shy away from the Kevlar but some people have good luck with it. I would say as long as everything was done right and broke in exactly as spec says it should be then it would be ok.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by ven0m:

Another thing to keep in mind is there is a MazdaSpeed 6 speed tranny that can be gotten for the Mazda 6, so someday there may be a 6 speed CSVT running around out there.

Explain this here. You have one now? MS6 is 4cyl turbo, generaly the v6 and 4cyl bellhousing are different.

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
I will just ask this, but isn't the MS6 trans just a ratio modified ST220 Durashift with the AWD transfer housing?

If so, I looked into an ST220 sixspeed when I had my transmission upgraded (not the one that died) last fall. The durashift is longer and will not fit without subframe modifications.

Between this and the prohibitive costs involved, I abandoned the project, in favor of a building up a better mtx-75.

Great work on the M6 trans though, love to see this kinda stuff. Now how about shedding 410lbs and cramming that v8 into a tour?

Geoff C. Turner 99 Black SVT -mine 99 Blue SE V6 ATX -mom's 96 Black SE MTX -sister's All with 278mm front rotors
V
ven0m Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by geoffct:
I will just ask this, but isn't the MS6 trans just a ratio modified ST220 Durashift with the AWD transfer housing?

If so, I looked into an ST220 sixspeed when I had my transmission upgraded (not the one that died) last fall. The durashift is longer and will not fit without subframe modifications.

Between this and the prohibitive costs involved, I abandoned the project, in favor of a building up a better mtx-75.

Great work on the M6 trans though, love to see this kinda stuff. Now how about shedding 410lbs and cramming that v8 into a tour?

I can promise you the tranny from the Mazda 6 is SHORTER than the MTX-75 and will bolt up. IMHO it has better ratios than the MTX-75 as well. Plus the slave is external, which certainly has it's benefits.

As far as putting the SHO V8 into a Contour there ain't now way, unless you can scrounge up 4 plus inches of width under the hood to work with. I promise turn radius would be a serious issue if you could notch the frame and fit it somehow.

I think for the real power hungry Contour driver, you need to keep your eyes closely on the horizon to the upcoming 3.5 Duratec slated for the Fusion / Mazda 6 platform cars. I expect the 3.5 to make more power than the 3.4 SHO, but it may be down a tad on torque, but I believe variable cam timing is possibly on the table for that engine as well which would be a big plus. In a little over a year those engines will start showing up in junkyards.

96 SHO 99 SHO

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard