Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
I think I'm going to go with...ignoring the CEL completely, at least for now. I'm in NY where they no longer test your actual exhaust. They used to but not anymore on 1999 vehicles and newer. They hook up to the car and check for codes, plus a visual on the lights and brakes and such, and then you are done.

After I cleaned the UIM and cleared my EGR code I took a 60 mile drive and went back for my inspection(which I passed). It took another 40 miles for the CEL to pop up with the 420 and 430 codes. If I can pass inspection after one drive cycle and the 420's and 430's don't appear until after perhaps 6 drive cycles, I know how to go about my inspection next October. If it doesn't work out I'll then have to do something about it. As a civil servant I know one thing...when in doubt, do nothing!(Maybe that should be my sig LOL)

I will print and save this thread though as there is a ton of good info here.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by dave5000:
I think I'm going to go with...ignoring the CEL completely, at least for now. I'm in NY where they no longer test your actual exhaust. They used to but not anymore on 1999 vehicles and newer. They hook up to the car and check for codes, plus a visual on the lights and brakes and such, and then you are done.

After I cleaned the UIM and cleared my EGR code I took a 60 mile drive and went back for my inspection(which I passed). It took another 40 miles for the CEL to pop up with the 420 and 430 codes. If I can pass inspection after one drive cycle and the 420's and 430's don't appear until after perhaps 6 drive cycles, I know how to go about my inspection next October. If it doesn't work out I'll then have to do something about it. As a civil servant I know one thing...when in doubt, do nothing!(Maybe that should be my sig LOL)

I will print and save this thread though as there is a ton of good info here.

My CEL came on my '99 also at about 90,000+ miles, with the same codes. My mechanic said not to worry about it, so I've been ignoring the lit CEL for almost 100,000 miles now. I keep hoping it will burn out one of these days.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
G
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
G
Hi Dave,
I have 95,000+ miles on my Contour V6 SE and I 'had' the 420 code appear back at 82,000 miles -- but not since then.
The solution was to put a can of 'Seafoam' OR a can of 'Berryman's B12' in the gas tank at EVERY fillup. It took 4 fillups before the CEL *stayed* out. I have a Matco 9620 code scanner (ebay) so I could 'clear' the codes without having to do the battery or fuse fandango.
I routinely put a can of Berryman's B12 in 'every other full tank' ...and have NOT had an iota of a CEL (or similar problem) since.
As the guyz n gals constantly recommend here ...START with the cheap and simple stuff FIRST.
Good luck!

Gerry

Last edited by Gerry_M; 10/07/05 04:42 PM.

1997 Ford Contour SE V6 K+N Michelin MXV4's 95,000 miles
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
I thought the routine was to use the sea foam or b12 when the tank was low and run for a while. I also thought there was a series of posts on this some time back. The theory is the cats get hotter and burn off build up. I just got one of the codes on the SVT and cleared to see if it comes back. My car is up for inspect and in NJ if the check engine light is on you will fail. They actually plug in the OBD II port during inspection.

Rich S

1998 SVT 1995 Contour 2.5 MTX 215K miles Son's car(dead and buried) 1997 Contour 2.0 ATX 1998 Contour 2.5 ATX 2004 Tauras Wagon 3.0 Duratec
G
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
G
Hi,
If the CEL is 'on' then, for goodness sake, do NOT bring the car in for inspection. INSTANT FAILURE!!!
Do not try and 'trick' the system either - by clearing the codes (yanking fuses or disconnecting battery) as the 'readiness codes' will NOT be set and you will ALSO fail inspection. (The 'readiness codes' take about 30 miles of 'various types of driving' before they will set to 'OK' -- which means there's a VERY good chance that the CEL will ALSO come on during that time.) Yeah, I know, bogus.
If the cats are 'marginal' you can 'attempt' to clear them out using i) Catalytic Converter Cleaner or ii) Berryman's B12 or iii) Seafoam.
I've found that Seafoam causes a lot of 'smoke out the exhaust' so running it in a car with little or no fuel may turn yer vehicle into a smoke bomb! (You'll be VERY unpopular with the neighbors!)
If you are stuck for 'time' then you could do this:
a) empty out a windex spray bottle
b) fill it up with Berryman's B12 or Seafoam or cat-cleaner
c) disconnect your air filter so that you have access to the intake manifold (i.e. when you "look in" you can see the MAF and the throttle butterfly (valve).
d) when the engine is warmed up and running -- spray the contents of the 'spray bottle' into the intake manifold until it's all used up.
Try not to spray 'downwards' otherwise you'll end up with a useless 'puddle' of fluid on the accordion part of the manifold tubing. Rather, "gun" the engine (so that the butterfly is 'open' a smidge') THEN spray "into" this opening.
Good luck!

Gerry

1997 Ford Contour SE V6 K+N Michelin MXV4's 95,000 miles
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Hope Chad posts into this..just ask him about my car and the seafoam

1998.5 SVT contour #5979 3L 1995 Mercury Mystique 2.5L auto, all ghetto fo sho
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
There are many Berryman's B12 products available; which one do you guys reccomend to try to eliminate this cel 0420?

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
3 to 4 tankfuls of Berrymans B12 Liquid (non-aerosol).

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
Full tank, half tank, 1/4 tank,...?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by BlownSkillet1:
Full tank, half tank, 1/4 tank,...?

Full. In addition, note that this is not the silver bullet. It might or might not work for you. Some have tried and it did not work for them.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1040494&Forum=trouble&Words=thanks%20for%20clarifying&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=1039023&Search=true#Post1040494

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard