Next Thread
Print Thread
#1399233 09/30/05 09:17 PM
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
I'm working on my daughter's 98 Contour, 2.0 Zetec and a 5-speed. It has new plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel pump and filter. It gets great spark, the fuel pressure is good and the injectors are clicking and the plugs get wetted by the fuel spray. The darn thing cranks well, and once in a blue moon hits on one cylinder, but never starts. I've checked the cam position sensor and crank shaft position sensor, both have good connectors. My local Ford dealer has never, ever ordered one of these sensors, so I trust they must never fail. I have a CEL, but since the car is not running, I don't have an inexpensive way to retrieve the codes, unless there is a method using a voltmeter (my old Lynx had a connector for me to retrieve the codes using a voltmeter). Any suggestions, or do I muscle the car onto a trailer and haul it to Autozone to read the code(s)?

Thanks,
Alex

#1399234 10/01/05 12:51 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
I would still think that the CKP(crank position sensor) could be a culprit. There are actually threads popping up on here fairly often about the CKP, and it could easily be a culprit.

As long as you have already verified (and you seem to have done a thorough job) the fuel pressure, spark, good coilpack, and compression.

Personally (and no, there is no other way to get the code than a code reader) I woud buy a cheapo-reader from a parts store, drive home, read the code, resolve the problem, and return the code. See if a Walmart in your area has an el-cheapo reader in the automotive department.. they'll take ANYTHING back. opened or not..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1399235 10/01/05 12:56 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Try cracking the throttle 1/4 way while starting. If it starts, clean or replace the IAC.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
#1399236 10/01/05 04:52 PM
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
1998 Contour, 2.0 Zetec and 5-speed. New plugs, coil pack, fuel pump and filter, good fuel pressure and spark, won't start. I tried to retrieve the codes, but my reader's yellow LED remains lit and the only indications I get are the "monitor" indicators flashing - catalyst monitor, evaporative system monitor, oxygen sensor monitor and oxygen sensor heater monitor. When flashing, the manual says that it is not ready for the emissions test. The car will not start and per the owners manual, must run for 10 minutes prior to the emissions test. As far as "codes" go, after being on the car for 15 minutes, it still shows 0 for the codes. Ray has suggested replacing the CKP, crank shaft position sensor, and I'm trying to find one in stock. I also tried the 1/4 throttle start, no dice. Any other thoughts? My reader is the iEQUUS/INNOVA Model 3030, $70 unit sold at WalMart(www.codereader.com).

Alex

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard