Print Thread
#1397501 09/29/05 06:07 AM
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Hey everyone..

I have a 96 Contour GL ATX and noticed from all the excessive vibration that the trans is riding the cross member (If thats what its called)

Any heads up info on this? The Chiltons book is now being used as Rabbit cage lining sence its been pretty much useless for every task ive needed it for.

Any write ups on what I gadda do to make things happy again?
thanks for the help, in advance

Chris Pauluk - Modesto CA 1984 Dodge Rampage 2.2 T2 MTX "The Trucklet" 1996 Contour GL ATX (with issues) 2002 Tacoma ext-cab MTX
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Sounds like your ATX Mount, found under the air intake, is bad. This is actually a fairly common thing and after a few searches, was able to see that when this mount goes out, it will cause the tranny to ride the subframe. There are no write-ups on the subject, as in a how-to or anything, but it is pretty simple if you just look at it.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
What would I need to do to make this right?

Id liek to have some info on it before diving in so i can figure out what tools I need to bring from work..

If theres a brokem bolt, what size thred, and legnth did you replace it with?

thanks again

Chris Pauluk - Modesto CA 1984 Dodge Rampage 2.2 T2 MTX "The Trucklet" 1996 Contour GL ATX (with issues) 2002 Tacoma ext-cab MTX
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
The atx mount is on your driver's side fenderwall. just need a socket and rachet perhaps a wrench and some patience.......

You will need to prop up the engine to keep it from putting any further pressure on the atx case...a block of wood and a jack to slightly jack up that side of the engine.

Don't ignore this, it will/can crack your case, etc which is a problem you don't want to have...

Bob

P.S. Good for you for spotting this...many don't.....

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
thanks..

Id still like to find out what size bolt im going to need to replace the broken one.. Ill buy the bolt and be good to go in one shot insted of having to take some fubar'd bolt and tryin to find a match..

I figured sence this is a commmon thing, there would be a faq or info on whats needed..

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
You should be able to have the dealer look it up. Or take out one that you have and match it at the dealer....I would not try to purchase one from your local hardware store....

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I have access to any size grade 9.8 bolts.. I just need a legnth and thred measurment.. Ill grab a few different sizes just in case.. I just dont want down time to where I need to drive around hunting for parts..

can anyone see what im sayin?

thanks

N
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
N
I would be very surprised if you have a broken bolt in your mount. Usually the rubber "insert" in the motor mount breaks down and separates allowing the engine/trans to drop. I was able to buy just the insert for my 98 SE from NAPA (about $30) and replace just the insert. Much cheaper than replacing the entire mount. If that works for your car you will have to pull the mount (Only pull the half that holds the insert), bend the tabs that hold the insert in place, push the old insert out, press the new insert into the mount and bend the tabs on the new insert to hold it in place. Then reinstall the mount.

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard