Next Thread
Print Thread
#1390344 09/20/05 01:22 AM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
What's with all the new cars whose windshields are so low that you can't see under the mirror? This is a huge safety hazard, and in my recent test driving, it was hard to find cars that didn't make me hunch down to be able to see in the direction of the mirror... even if I pushed it as high toward the ceiling as it could go.

Now I'm on the tall side, so I'm not surprised to have trouble like this in, say, a Corolla or a New Beetle. But in a pickup truck?? In a damn Toyota Avalon???

Five years ago I didn't notice anywhere near this bad a problem. My Contour's mirror was a bit low but I could push it high enough. Likewise for competing cars of the time.

This is one reason why I might still get a sensible Toyota Matrix instead of a Mazda 3. Because if I got a 3, I'd have to reglue the mirror four inches higher. At least there is enough glass to be able to move it, unlike in a lot of its competitors.

. . . Two zetec Contours, two blown head gaskets... for some reason I have a Japanese car now. anybody in California want a Diehard Gold 100 month battery? inquire by PM.
#1390345 09/20/05 01:24 AM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Well, at least none of them are like the older Miata models, where the top of the glass itself was below eye level for me...

. . . Two zetec Contours, two blown head gaskets... for some reason I have a Japanese car now. anybody in California want a Diehard Gold 100 month battery? inquire by PM.
#1390346 09/20/05 04:46 AM
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
Quote:

Well, at least none of them are like the older Miata models, where the top of the glass itself was below eye level for me...

haha... I feel that. I had to over the roofline with the top down to see stoplights in my mom's miata.

'98 SVT Contour (Bilstein Struts w/BAT Euro Spring kit.) '95 SHO Taurus (R.I.P.)
#1390347 09/20/05 06:11 AM
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
That's the same way it is in my Ford Ranger...Even in my Suburban, I have to bend down a little...

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
#1390348 09/20/05 07:45 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Online Content
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Your problem is that you're too tall. Face it .. from a simple perspective the auto manufacturers must place the mirror at a height where it is accessible to everybody and will still be angled properly enough to provide a wide-angle view to any user. You place a mirror too high and the 4'11" soccer mom will encounter even more troubles trying to get a proper angle out of the rearview than you will encounter trying to see out the front - and no amount of repositioning the mirror will solve that dilemma.

Originally posted by 98EssVeeTee:
Quote:

haha... I feel that. I had to over the roofline with the top down to see stoplights in my mom's miata.

Agreed (although that little fact doesn't stop me from trying to take the Miata whenever I go out )

#1390349 09/20/05 02:04 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Glue the mirror onto the dash like a few of the old roadsters used to...

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#1390350 09/20/05 04:12 PM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by 98 SE:
Your problem is that you're too tall.

So how come I'm too tall now but I wasn't too tall in 1999?

#1390351 09/20/05 05:31 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
The major problem is that society tells us to be tall, but wont provide tall people with what they need. When is the last time you saw a 4'11" woman in a car ad, let alone any ad. Every ad we see on TV has tall dark and handsome males or tall thin long haired females. I defenitely have the tall and dark part, and most people would say I am handsome.....why arent cars designed to fit my needs. The commercial has a guy my size riding around in the car looking badass...Live up to your image auto manufacturers and make a car that fits badass mofos like myself.

Enough of my rant, I am just pissed cause I fit more comfortably in a go kart than a miata. Miata's aren't badass anyways.

Originally posted by Who the F are You?:
does your family tree not have any branches on it?

99SVT 235hp @ 6550rpm 212tq @ 5350rpm
#1390352 09/21/05 01:33 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Online Content
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by RandyCSVT:
The major problem is that society tells us to be tall, but wont provide tall people with what they need. When is the last time you saw a 4'11" woman in a car ad, let alone any ad. Every ad we see on TV has tall dark and handsome males or tall thin long haired females. I defenitely have the tall and dark part, and most people would say I am handsome.....why arent cars designed to fit my needs. The commercial has a guy my size riding around in the car looking badass...Live up to your image auto manufacturers and make a car that fits badass mofos like myself.

Enough of my rant, I am just pissed cause I fit more comfortably in a go kart than a miata. Miata's aren't badass anyways.

^^ all 5'8" of my pasty white acne-scarred hide are jealous, except for the 'not comfortable in a Miata' bit

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard