Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
#1390011 09/20/05 08:26 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
NO, they (the politican) may not, but guess what, most likely the people who voted him in DO or DONT.!

Originally posted by zgendron:

That's my whole point!!! These politicans were not having abortions or seeking to enter a gay marriage. They were only supporting it for others. Its a choice for those others to make, and it is THEIR RIGHT to make that decision. Simply because someone votes for Gay Marriage or Abortion DOES NOT mean that they believe in those practices. It simply means that people should have the right to make their own choice.

You do not see this type of stand in any other religious organization (IMO).

Ryan Trollin!
#1390012 09/20/05 08:27 PM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
NO, they (the politican) may not, but guess what, most likely the people who voted him in DO or DONT.!

That's my whole point!!! These politicans were not having abortions or seeking to enter a gay marriage. They were only supporting it for others. Its a choice for those others to make, and it is THEIR RIGHT to make that decision. Simply because someone votes for Gay Marriage or Abortion DOES NOT mean that they believe in those practices. It simply means that people should have the right to make their own choice.

You do not see this type of stand in any other religious organization (IMO).

So you refuse communion to the politician?

Then by that argument, we shouldn't have any Catholic politicians.

Last edited by zgendron; 09/20/05 08:28 PM.

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
#1390013 09/20/05 08:29 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Since that is what you are hung up on, who was refused communion? I'd like to know...

Ryan Trollin!
#1390014 09/20/05 08:30 PM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by Davo:
I have ZERO intention of seeking a gay marriage, but you damn well better believe I'm voting to support it. Why? Because another group is SEEKING TO BAN IT! If someone wasn't seeking to ban it, then I don't see why it would be an issue.

I'm so proud of you. It took you like 20 posts in this thread, but you're finally starting to come around.

Not sure what you mean here. My position has not changed. I still believe your original statement to be false.

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
#1390015 09/20/05 08:33 PM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Since that is what you are hung up on, who was refused communion? I'd like to know...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/04/06/politics/main610547.shtml

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/7/6/152916.shtml

Again, its the Church taking a political stand, not Catholics. There is a difference. Additionally, this is simply an example. I'm most certainly not hung up on it.

#1390016 09/20/05 08:43 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Not sure what you mean here. My position has not changed. I still believe your original statement to be false.

At least you're aware the solution is in your own actions and not those of others.

#1390017 09/20/05 08:48 PM
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by Davo:

At least you're aware the solution is in your own actions and not those of others.

Absolutely. Anyone that is passive on this, or any other issue, has missed the boat. With that said, I do think there is a difference in the way the Catholic Church enters the US political arena when compared to any other religion.

Should it? That's an entirely different debate. However, I've never seen any other religion offer advice on whether voting for a canidate was a sin...
http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0403722.htm

#1390018 09/20/05 09:04 PM
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Corbett:
Simply because someone votes for Gay Marriage or Abortion DOES NOT mean that they believe in those practices.

I take it back. This is the quote of the day! Give me a break. Why would you vote for them and personally be against them? Sounds just like a certain 2004 candidate.

Ok I'm going to state this another way. Just becasue you can do something doesn't mean you should do something. The problem here is pro-life people are addressing the symptoms not the cause. Instead of trying to get rid of abortion they should be concentrating on getting rid of the morals that make abortion an option.

I believe that from the moment of conception that the baby is a baby. A person I know said that her baby wouldn't have been a baby until it was born. She got an abortion. She made her choice and I made mine and as part of freedom of religion I agree that this choice should be allowed. Even if I don't agree with it.

Forcing my views upon others is against everything I've been taught for my entire life. You can try to show someone the error of there ways but the second you try to force them to view things the way you do (I include forcing someone to keep a baby they don't want) you've sinned against your fellow man. Whats the greater sin, murder or not honoring thy neighbor?

Ryan '99 T-Red SVT, KKM, Borla, 1387 of 2760 '92 T-Red F-150 Flareside 4.9, 5 spd '94 Geo Prizm, it was cheap
#1390019 09/20/05 09:10 PM
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by akrump47:

So does PETA, the oil companies, Liberial and Conservative movements, etc etc etc etc etc.

Wrong! The Catholic Church CONSTANTLY attempts to influence politicians and push their political agenda. They ABSOLUTELY attempt to affect my life.

If they kept out of our politics, I'd have no problem with them either.

At John 18:36 Jesus tells Pilate his Kingdom has nothing to do with the world, saying it is from another source. If the Catholic Church is representing God's will on earth, why would they get involved in politics then? PETA, oil companies and other 'groups' don't claim to represent God's will so it's quite a bit different.

Thats my .02

And this is 100% correct. I was glad that someone else brought it up, because I was going to otherwise. If Christian churches followed Jesus' teachings, they would not be involved in politics.

E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3095/6535 Alpine CDA-9851
#1390020 09/20/05 09:11 PM
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by Corbett:
So then why dont we just legalize murder too? How about cocaine? How far does it go?

Because murder and drug dealing affect other members of society. The two examples zgendron brought up affect only those individuals directly involved.

And in general I have a problem with legislation based solely on the teachings of the Bible, as should anyone who thinks that the separation of church & state was a prime intent of the founding fathers. If we're going to vote for issues based on what the Bible says, why not just declare the US a theocracy and be done with it? Furthermore, what if my religion says nothing about the issues mentioned? Why should your religion reign superior?

I have no problem with opinions that differ from mine. It's where these opinions come from (as it pertains to making laws) that I have a problem with.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard