Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1389543 09/19/05 01:38 PM
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
for the past month about once or twice each week i get coolant light come on. 1st time when it happened, i added some coolant and then it was gone but then it was comping up again. Any ideas? there is no CEL.

1998 Contour V6 Duratec 2.5L
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by powerx_32:
for the past month about once or twice each week i get coolant light come on. 1st time when it happened, i added some coolant and then it was gone but then it was comping up again. Any ideas? there is no CEL.

Check coolant strength. Buy a $5 tester from autoparts store. The coolant might be too weak. In addition, make sure coolant is half inch above max line (when the engine is cold).

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
i did coolant change sometime in May. and its now way above the line

1998 Contour V6 Duratec 2.5L
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by powerx_32:
i did coolant change sometime in May. and its now way above the line

Check coolant strength first.

Then you may want to try this thread for other suggestions.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1029129&Forum=trouble&Words=baby&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1month&Main=1028846&Search=true#Post1029129

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Awhile ago my upper radiator hose rubbed a little hole into itself from the battery box. Coolant really didnt leak out, but I think it had something to do with pressure. Any way the coolant light would come on upon start up and turn off when the engine was at normal temp. I replaced the hose and the problem was gone.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by RawBurt:
...Coolant really didnt leak out, but I think it had something to do with pressure. Any way the coolant light would come on upon start up and turn off when the engine was at normal temp....

RawBurt give me one more idea. Check cap for the recovery tank. Make sure it is on tight or might have to check if it is holding pressure.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Coolant strength or concentration has absolutely nothing to do with the coolant light.

It is a simple level sensor. If the tank is slightly overfull (or more), the vehicle is level, and the coolant light is still on, then the sensor is faulty.

The coolant light should come on during "bulb prove-out", then go out if everything is normal. Has absolutely nothing to do with the engine operating temp.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
Coolant strength or concentration has absolutely nothing to do with the coolant light.

It is a simple level sensor. If the tank is slightly overfull (or more), the vehicle is level, and the coolant light is still on, then the sensor is faulty.

The coolant light should come on during "bulb prove-out", then go out if everything is normal. Has absolutely nothing to do with the engine operating temp. In that particular case, it was due to a low level (due to the leak). The coolant expanded enough after engine warmup to "make" the sensor.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by projectSHO89:

The coolant light should come on during "bulb prove-out", then go out if everything is normal. Has absolutely nothing to do with the engine operating temp. In that particular case, it was due to a low level (due to the leak). The coolant expanded enough after engine warmup to "make" the sensor.

Steve

I beg to differ.

At 30% glycol (about 50 -50 solution), the specific gravity of the coolant is about 1.038. Pure water is 1.000. As the Contour's sensor is very sensitive (or finicky), the lower SG will cause the sensor not to rise (per your simple level sensor theory).

As for the cool engine before checking level, I have seen levels being lower than max line when engine is cool and then the level rising after being warmed up (once again, completely consistent with your "coolant expanded enough after the engine warmup to 'make' the sensor" theory).

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
how much would a coolant flush and refill cost me? ballpark

'98.5 Black Ford Contour SE Sport 5-speed. All the SE Sport features with all the 98features that were supposed to be decontented for 98.5 '04 Silver Toyota RAV4 L Auto. Fully loaded.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard