Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Having some blower motor issues, as in, no blower motor at all! Checked all the fuses & things...and they all seem to be ok...

Even the relay seems ok...checked it against another of the exact same part number, and it was ok as far as resistance goes...which is really all I can see to check out of the car.

So I pulled out the blower motor resistor, which does not look like either the Chiltons or AutoZone pictures or descriptions. It takes a T20 bit to remove the screw, unlike plano1's, which took a T15.

Anyway, I checked the resistance for all the 4 contacts to each other, and they all came up with continuity...that is...zero resistance between each other. That seems a bit odd for a "resistor pack", so I'm pretty sure I'll spend the big bucks ($12?) on a new part. Only problem with getting dealer parts around here (north Woodward area in Detroit burbs...) is that dealers all are union and don't work on Saturdays...generally when most of us can get to repairs...

I'll report back on Monday if the new pack, and a test of resistance values, are more stuff to try for troubleshooting this issue. I don't see anything that looks "burned", although the inside contacts seem a bit rusty...(I'm a bit rust too...it's a [censored] when you throw out your back just twisting to get at these under-the-dash areas 8-(

Rich 1999 T-Red SE MTX (Mine) 1994 Red Explorer XLT (Son's) 2001 P-Gold XLT 4x4 Escape (Wife's)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Could be the switch (the one next to the radio). I think Jeb Hoge had a problem with that and got it fixed.

Try this thread/post.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1003884&Forum=trouble&Words=jeb%20hoge&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=1002191&Search=true#Post1003884

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
It was the switch on both our Mystiques when the blower failed, although you will usually still have highest speed with that switch failure. The low resistance is normal. Does the motor work of you run it directly from the battery? You could also check if 12 volts is present at the blower motor connector if you can get to it. Some voltage should be there at each speed setting. I am fairly sure 12 volts at each speed if the blower motor is not connected. The voltages will make sense (low volts+low speed) if the motor is connected and running.

S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Ok, here's the scoop:

* Doesn't work at any speed.
* Blower works when 12v applied directly to it
* Blower motor resistor pack "looks" ok...just like the pictures that other guy posted today...but I got a new one anyway and will stick it in...only $13.
* No melting or other weirdness around any of the connectors and there is a direct path with continuety ONLY in the proper wire from the switch to the resistor pack connection...I think these two are just either end of the four wire set.
* Fuses, relays, everything looks ok.
* Might as well replace the switch too, since that's out now. Any idea of how this thing is wired...what blades should be connected at what fan speeds?

Don't know what to do next (except get a new control switch). But since I've got the center part of the dashboard apart, I might as well replace the light bulbs for the hvac panel...they'll probably burn out as soon as I put it all back together.

Last edited by SetiRich; 09/20/05 08:29 PM.

Rich 1999 T-Red SE MTX (Mine) 1994 Red Explorer XLT (Son's) 2001 P-Gold XLT 4x4 Escape (Wife's)

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard