Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1387627 09/16/05 03:05 PM
B
OP Offline
B
For lack of a better term, my front brakes seem to "stick" sometimes. It happens after driving for a while or if the car has been sitting in the sun, so it seems to be temperature-related. When the brakes are not sticking, there is a little bit of give in the brake pedal before the brakes "catch". When the brakes "stick", however, the pedal is firm from the get-go with no initial give when pressing the pedal. If I stop and check, it seems to be the front-passenger side brake as it is usually MUCH warmer than the driver side.

To alleviate the problem, I have to stop the car and mash the brake pedal as hard as I can several times. This seems to "un-stick" the brakes, if only for a while.

The only ideas that I have are (a) kinked brake hose or (b) damaged float pin action, as in perhaps the grease that the pins use for lubrication in the sliding action is degraded/dried up and the calipers are sticking in position.

HELP!!

#1387628 09/16/05 03:35 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1387629 09/16/05 03:43 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thank you - I searched the forums but didn't find that thread. I guess I need to check my master/booster setup.

Something I didn't mention, I replaced the rear brakes (pads and rotors) about 10 months ago. Fronts have never been touched (80k miles) and still have 45% pad left. I took it to a shop with this problem and they "couldn't find anything wrong". I already have the pads and rotors to replace the fronts, but I don't want to ruin the new rotors if this sticking continues. Sometimes I have to drive with the sticky brake and it heats up quite a bit which could warp the new rotor.

#1387630 09/16/05 04:33 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I would sure check the caliper slide pins to make sure that the caliper has proper movement.

Actually, before doing anything else, I would do a careful brake inspection to the pint of removing the pads and confirming that the caliper slide pins are not sticking and properly lubed. I would also push the pistons in to confirm that they are not sticking. Only after confirming that everything is OK at the wheels would I get involved with the Booster and Master.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard