Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1381996 09/09/05 01:32 AM
T
OP Offline
T
I know this is not Contour related but I know someone here can answer this question.

Is there a way to test a driver (single voice coil) with a multimeter to find out the ohm rating it is. I have some old home audio speakers I want to use for my garage and I need to replace the woofers, but they are unmarked. I have tried but I cannot get a stable reading. The surrounds are torn, but I do not think that the voice coils are fried as they play fine at low volume levels.

I think that these speakers are rated at 8 ohms. They are 20 year old EPI Time Energy 100's

I would assume that if you use the wrong ohm rating in a two way speaker the crossover will not work correctly.

Thanks,

1999 SVT Silver Work in Progress
#1381997 09/09/05 11:48 AM
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
https://secure1.thebook.com/cgi-bin/humanspeakers/order.pl?brand=e&model=54

www.humanspeakers.com still makes the woofers and tweeters used back in the EPI, epicure, and genesis speakers.

Excellent guy to work with.

And yes, by setting the multimeter to measure resistance, you can get a drivers DC resistance. However, speakers really have an impedance not a resistance. The difference being that it changes with freq. So, doing the DC resistance thing can get you into the right class of drivers, its not going to guarantee a good sounding replacement. Much more goes into it than that.

Good luck on the speakers, they were good ones.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
#1381998 09/10/05 02:10 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the answer, I think I am going to try to repair the surrounds and see how that works first. The whole point was not to spend any money and just use stuff I already had.

1999 SVT Silver Work in Progress
#1381999 09/11/05 02:04 AM
D
D
Originally posted by takearide:
Thanks for the answer, I think I am going to try to repair the surrounds and see how that works first. The whole point was not to spend any money and just use stuff I already had.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to measure impedance to help find a suitable replacement driver.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard