Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
uh no...

He is absolutely right. There is NO real way of getting them off without replacing the rack. I see you dont have an SVT, so your tie rods are different. The SVT tie rods (for 16 inch wheels), are rounded all the way around. There is no hex, or squared off edge. The only way is a hack, which involved flattening one side of the rod with a grinder, and using a strap wrench. And no mechanic is going to do that for you. So I'm going to have to do it myself.

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by todras:
More like done with that mechanic.

No Kidding. Run do not hide from that place

1998.5 E1 SVT Contour #5482/6535
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Have any of you bothered to search? There are a # of threads about SVT inner tie rods, and how they are rounded and not hex, or squared off. There are even a # of threads on how to grind one side flat and use a strap wrench to get them off. My mechanic isnt wrong. But knowing this solution I'd rather do it myself.

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I called two seperate shops, both quoted me 2 hours labor to do both sides, and verified they did NOT have to drop the subframe. It might be important to note I have a 96 SE too, that might make a difference.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Yes, that might make a difference. The SVT tie rods are the 16 inch wheel version, which are different from the 14-15 inch wheel versions (which do have hex ends). This is probably also why the 16 inch wheel versions are so much cheaper.

L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
There is a such thing as inner tie rod specific tools. I highly doubt they are not replacable.

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by tbirdjayc:
Ha...My car (2k SVT) is in teh shop right now, and the guy is telling me they CAN NOT replace the tie rods. There is NO hex on the SVT tie rod. There is nothing. No way of removing it at all. He has the part on order, but doesnt think it will help. He is saying the part is probably only supposed to be ordered by people who do steering rack rebuilds. And he is thinking he will have to change the entire rack. I think I am done with this POS car.

Do you mean inner or outer tie rods? The outer tie rods can be replaced easily. The inner ones I am not so sure about. I have a similar noise like rkneeshaw. I also have checked the entire car and the only place left is either the rack and pinion gear or the inner tie rods. My steering is tight so my inner and outer tie rods are probably fine.

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Driver:
I have a similar noise like rkneeshaw. I also have checked the entire car and the only place left is either the rack and pinion gear or the inner tie rods. My steering is tight so my inner and outer tie rods are probably fine.

I'll be sure to update this thread tomorrow with the results

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
The 16 inch wheel tie rods, are not machined. There is no easy way to remove them. Even the Ford CD says to drop the subframe and remove the steering rack.

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Well unfortunately this update isn't going to be so helpful. They checked my steering and they said its really nice and tight, but noticed my control arms are allowing my wheels to move forward and back by about an inch or so I guess those bushings arent' as good as was thought

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard