Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Pope Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Okay, wasn't mine, but might be now... umm... read on.

Anyway, recently I decided I wanted a laptop to carry to classes and what not, nothing special or anything just something a couple years old, in good shape, that'll run word processing and solitare. (big ambitions I know)

So in my pursuit of a budget laptop I went to the best place I could think of, eBAY, and guess what I found exactly what I was looking for, and purchased it.

That was a couple days ago and I am still waiting on it's arrival (should be here thurs or fri).

Now here's where things get interesting......

The day after I won (and paid) I received a message from another eBAY member with concerns that the laptop was one recently stolen from his place of employment. He sent a copy of the purchase invoice, so that when it arrives I can compare the system codes. He also assures me that I will be 100% reimbursed for my purchase if it does turn out that the computer I recieve is the one he had stolen.

The guy that emailed me did so from a Religious organization that has world-wide ties and affiliations with such people as Rev. Billy Gram, so I'm certain he's not trying to scam me. I can also say that if it was stolen from them, I have no intention of keeping it, if I can return someone's property to the rightful owner I feel that is the proper thing to do.

However, if it turns out to be theirs, how should I proceed?

-Should I return it to them with all the pertinent information, such as Seller's info and mine, so they can coordinate with their police to catch the person, and wait for them to reimburse me.

-Go to my local police and have them coordinate with their police, and wait to see how things go.

--Something else that I'm not thinking of....

Thoughts, Opinions, Options.

87 Mustang GT 5.0L TURBO
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
sounds like a scam to me.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Hmm very interesting!!!

The only thing you can do is wait. Honestly it sound like the seller and this dude might be working together, to get the item back ya know?

P
Pope Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by MxRacerCam:
sounds like a scam to me.

That was my initial response too, but I've done some independent research, and found the organization he's connected to.

He never told me where he was from, just that it was stolen from his employer; I found what that organization is and it's affiliations, that's why I doubt it's a scam.

BUT, this is why I'm thinking that if the laptop matches the invoice he sent me, I'll go to the police and have them contact the police of the question area, and confirm the story.

Last edited by Psych_Guru; 09/08/05 03:38 AM.

87 Mustang GT 5.0L TURBO
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Sounds like a scam galore.

Ask him if he would be willing to file a police report and if not, why?

I'd also thoroughly explore PRECISELY how he/she plans on getting your money back to you.

Finally, how in the HELL did they know how to track you down via e-mail so bloody fast?

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Intersting, and fishy at the same time. If the numbers match I would contact the Police. Did the guy who lost it report it stolen to Police or Ins. Co? Laptops are covered by most Home Owners Policies so he would have reason to claim it.

I would not return anything until payment has been returned to you. Also check the ebayer's feedback (both seller and the guy that contacted you)

Previous Owner of 00 SVT Contour #1077/2150 95 Contour SE '01 3L
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
if it were me i would call my local police department and see what they say. i have a hard time believing this story for its face value. what proof did he offer that his story is true? such as: proof of employment and proof of the stolen property like a police report. now that i think about it, if he does or did show you a police report i would call that department and verify the story that way as well.

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
P
Pope Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Supposedly a report was filed with the police, and I figure the police here should definately be able to confirm that.

As far as ebay ratings go, both people have great feedback ratings.

The seller's feedback (that still has active auction links) are mainly for laptops.

The guy claiming it MIGHT be his stolen one, has feed back currently linked to charitable things and road a road bike.

He origionally contacted me through ebay, which would be really easy just by clicking on the winning bidder and sending a message...

Eitherway, I think I'm definately working through the police.

87 Mustang GT 5.0L TURBO
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
ask him if he can produce a receipt for the labtop. Or ask for his contact information...and when you do call, talk to someone other than him, and ask them if they know of any who has had a labtop stolen recently.

Cougar V6 MTX: GMK Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake : SVT UIM : SVT LIM : SVT TB : MSDS Headers & Ypipe : TruBendz 2.5" Borla Single Exhaust : Soild Front Motor Mount : & more
P
Pope Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by GrandMasterKhan:
ask him if he can produce a receipt for the labtop.

I have a copy of the purchase invoice and I have found the phone number for the organization, it's a legit Christian group.

I've also requested a copy of the police report.

87 Mustang GT 5.0L TURBO
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard