Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RxRot Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hey all,

I have a 99 5spd. V6 with 49K on it. It started to do this a long time ago (20-30K ish) coupled to A/C usage, but it has become progressively worse and happens without A/C. Basically, the revs continue to rise when shifting gears and when going to neutral (for a light, stop sign, etc.) When driving, the car will not slow when you let off the gas. I'd rather not go through the hassle of a new clutch due to all this wear, so any thoughts/input would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Gavin

99' Black Contour V6. 5spd. 54K. 04' VR Turbo RX8. Greddy Turbo Kit, Greddy SP2, MS Sways, ACT Clutch, Lightened Flywheel. 19" Volk GT-V. Fast, Reliable, Cheap. Pick any two.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Not clutch related at all.

Throttle hang. Search in the faq and troubleshooting forum for info (also on the main contour.org page under common problems). A very simple (5-10 minutes) and cheap (20 cents or so) fix will cure you. The same "fix" cures the "moose" as people here call it. Searching for MOOSE fixes can lead you to the same thing.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

R
RxRot Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Ray,

Thanks for the response. The car actually continues to rev higher (3,4,5K) and does not simply hang, though sometimes this occurs as well. Is this still the culprit? Thanks again for the input.

Regards,
Gavin

99' Black Contour V6. 5spd. 54K. 04' VR Turbo RX8. Greddy Turbo Kit, Greddy SP2, MS Sways, ACT Clutch, Lightened Flywheel. 19" Volk GT-V. Fast, Reliable, Cheap. Pick any two.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
still the case.. yes..

worst case scenario is a new IAC (idle air control) valve.

51.00 and change from Steve at Tousley Ford

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
If a sticking IAC doesn't solve the problem, check the TPS (throttle position sensor).

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
Does anyone happen to have the part # for an updated IAC valve I've heard about? I have a 97 Contour V6 and I have a new IAC valve, but I believe it's the same part as the one I took off (I'm doing a major cleaning project of the intake, and will be putting everything back together soon). I've heard there is a revised part from Ford, but not sure what the part number is. Wonder if the new valve will help me, as I too have experienced the throttle hang that everybody talks about, though it's not as consistent as for others. Seems only to happen on humid evenings...eh.

1997 Ford Contour Sport, 2.5L Duratec V6, MTX
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
As others have said it's most likely the IAC valve sticking, and in most cases it can be cleaned out with carb cleaner.

My Thunderbird had the same problem. It had an uncanny habit of revving to 3000 rpm the moment somebody walked in front of it if I was sitting somewhere idling. That got me quite a few dirty looks, and earned it the nickname "Christine".

'99 Contour Sport V6 MTX
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Delta115:
Does anyone happen to have the part # for an updated IAC valve I've heard about? I have a 97 Contour V6 and I have a new IAC valve, but I believe it's the same part as the one I took off

The 97 moose fix has this part number. You can check the number on your new IAC valve to see if it is XS2Z9F715BA.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by Big Jim:
If a sticking IAC doesn't solve the problem, check the TPS (throttle position sensor).

Could be, but it the TPS is sticking bad enough to raise the revs that high chances are the car would flood out from too much fuel and not enough air passing through the MAF. If the revs continue to rise then you may have a vacuum leak. One fairly common location for a vacuum leak is the pcv valve hose. Sometimes the hose rubs against the throttle cable bracket and develops a hole. YOu should be able to hear a leak with the engine idleing and the hood up. Just listen for a hiss that will disapear for a moment when you rev up the engine.

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I would first check and see how dirty the throttle body is. It just might not be closing all the way or fast enough because how dirty it is. Easy thing to look at and clean. Previous owner of my SVT had this problem he cleaned it and it was fixed. Good luck.

Green 2000 SVT #1166 mods-K&N and Custom heat shield, optimized y pipe, Magnaflow center resonator, DMDhttp://www.geocities.com/savinoss/Cars.html -Wifes car 99 Mystique V6 5 spd
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard