Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
I recently converted my vct zetec into a normal zetec by replacing head with a fr head.

It runs but not so hot, doesnt like to start up very well and almost feels like im hitting the rev limiter randomly while driving sometimes.

I believe this is due to the vct and due to the fact the VCT zetec cam position sensor is on the exhaust side, whereas the normal zetec is on the intake side.

My question is this, Can I run an ecu from a different car without screwing everything up? Are all Ford EEC-V pinouts the same for all zetec equipped cars? Anyone done anything similiar?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Not all Zetec ECUs are created equal.
You'll need a pre98 Contour ECU.
The closer the ECU codes are, the better.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
my code is cnu4, is their a database or anything to look at to compare to other ecu's?

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I've heard there is method to the code names, but im not 100% sure what it is.
What I do know is that the codes that share the same letters are the virtually the same, and the number is something like the revision number.
cnu1 = revision 1 of code cnu, cnu2 = revision 2 of code cnu, etc.
So look for something that shares the same 3 letters.

Another option is to have a chip burned that disables VCT.
Its more than jusst turning the VCT off, the VCT function is used in other parts of the programming.
So somebody familiar with the Contour (or atleast Fords) would be preferable.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Well Im planning on taking it int to get it tuned, guy specializes in fords and subarus so no problem there.

I called and asked about him being able to disable vct and he said it shouldnt be a problem.

Mainly my concern is I want it to be tunable, dont want to waste money.

But I am now thinking, my maf may be screwed, my symptoms seem to be shared a lot by people with bad mafs.

Im going to drive it tonight with maf unplugged to see if there is any improvement.

Also could a bad o2 sensor really screw up the car. Im at 99k and on the originals. SO that may be it too.

N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Also something really important I missed, I have a cougar, which was the basis of the whole question.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I'm not sure on how/if the ECU pin-out differs between the Contour and Cougar.
I do know the Focus and Contour pin-out is different.

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
A few quick notes - First, I am VERY suprised that the car runs. especially since the cam sensor is on the other camshaft. If the VCT is not disabled and your running the car, the PCM Is trying to change your exhaust camshaft timing and is running fuel/air ratios into the motor accordingly. Just because you have the cars cams timed/swapped for a NON-VCT engine the ECU still tries to Run it like it has a VCT pully/cam in it. In short - You need to either have a custom chip burned to remove VCT operation, Cam sensor location change and tuned for optimum performance due to your upgrades(could also be the root of your issue). Is your CEL on?

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
It actually runs pretty good sometimes, Ive been driving for about a year with the vct unplugged anyways. \

Basically what im getting at, was weighing different options just in case...

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
It should run fine at WOT. The rest of the time should be a hit or miss. (VCT works at part thottle) Definitely take it to a tuner though, make sure they use a DYNO when tuning your car.

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard