Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Hightower:

"opens more slowly?" I didn't realize the IMRC used a stepper motor! It's either all open or all closed, right?

It is a servo motor, but the actuator voltage is only constant from what I've tested. Unless they've found a way to stutter the voltage to slow the opening, I call B.S. on this one...

Brad Noon
'99 SE MTX
3 point oh my God H.O. 179HP/178TQ
BNMotorsports Floormats, powder coating, TB optimizing, Gutted cats, etc
BNMotorsports is now the preferred distributor of Contour/SVT/Mystique Indiglo style gauges!!!
bnmotorsports@msn.com
A
APT Offline
A
They don't quite understand the dual intake runner system. The longer path (at low engine speed) is designed to swirl the air and create an even A/F mixture for a more complete combustion, which also optimizes torque. The shorter intake path is required at higher speeds because the primary path is so small it can't suck enough air. So, more air is added, not just switched over.

And what's this about a top speed limiter? That's the selling point I'm looking for with my SVT. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Justin. For the SVT Contour, I have heard nothing about any significant (>2hp) dyno proven increase in power from just a chip. Ford calibrators did a pretty good job at optimizing the engine characteristics. (edit) Until you start changing the intake/headers/enhaust or others that causes a change to the engine power characteristics, a superchip is pretty worthless.

It is true that many SVT's are getting peak torque as low as 2500rpm.

B
B
This is the dyno, WHP & torque, per the SVT collateral:

The chart Superchips have looks like cr*p to me.
BB
Edit.. here's the link: http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/1942/svt4.htm

'98 SVT #53 of 6535
Born on 3/26/97
Reborn 8/21/01
MODS:
Driver v 2.0
B
B
Quote:
Once you start changing the intake/headers/enhaust or others that causes a change to the engine power characteristics, a superchip is pretty worthless.

Superchip worthless after mods? On the contrary, it's the best point to get one. It must be calibrated to all of your mods, but it will gain HP and TQ. Eric Grammetbauer gained lots-o-HP-n-TQ when he had his tuned on the dyno on top of SHM headers and a few intake mods.

Brad Noon
'99 SE MTX
3 point oh my God H.O. 179HP/178TQ
BNMotorsports Floormats, powder coating, TB optimizing, Gutted cats, etc
BNMotorsports is now the preferred distributor of Contour/SVT/Mystique Indiglo style gauges!!!
bnmotorsports@msn.com
N
N
The graph made by Superchips looks like it was made in Excel, and that they just took readouts for horsepower and torque at 300 rpm intervals and plotted them on there. This could be why the dip is eliminated. I agree, though, that the HP numbers look a little small for a stock SVT.

ND SVT
2000 SVT (Black/Midnight Blue)
A
APT Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by bnoon:

Superchip worthless after mods? On the contrary, it's the best point to get one. It must be calibrated to all of your mods, but it will gain HP and TQ. Eric Grammetbauer gained lots-o-HP-n-TQ when he had his tuned on the dyno on top of SHM headers and a few intake mods.

Doh! I meant a superchip is worthless until you start modifying the engine characteristics.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard