Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
ronp Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
Hi-
Well the sound coming from my tranny is really driving me nuts.It's a 99 SVT with 91K, rarely driven exceptionally hard. I have not noticed any problems in the performance, feel or operation of the clutch but still hearing this metallic rattling when starting from a stop or slow roll in first or second gear. I'm still hoping it's a loose heat shield or something (yeah right) I'm going to try a flush and refill on the tranny first. Can anyone recommend an honest Ford dealership in the city of Chicago, preferably the north side? If that doesn't work I'm going to replace the stock clutch with a beefier one of which I'm open to suggestions from other listers. On that note can anyone recommend an honest and thorough transmission shop, also on the north side of Chicago? Thanks in advance for your help.

Ron
Chicago

B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
How soon do you need it?

Terry Haines is in MI if youre willing to ship it, but it will be better than ever afterwards...

Hey man, where ya from?

Kevin and I are from the Montrose and Nagle area

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
My opinion, it is a heat shield, or else inside the catalyst. Tap on it (not too hard!) see if you can find it.Sometimes, a spot weld lets go on a shield, the official fix is a large hose clamp to secure it. I had to do this on my SHO recently.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
My opinion, it is a heat shield,

Yep, I agree with Fav. Mine is the same. It is like a denk, denk, denk... sound. I need to go find the correct size hose clamp. I haven't fixed it yet though. Fav, where did you get yours?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, or try Home Depot or similar store. Long stainless clamps are used in plumbing sometimes.

R
ronp Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
Who the heck is Terry Haines? I'm not far from you, Irving and California. Hey if you want to hear one of the greatest jazz saxaphonists who's ever lived, I'm performing this week Tuesday thru Sunday at the Jazz Showcase downtown. Unfortunately the old man who owns the joint is a cheapskate and I can't get anyone on the guest list.

Peace,

Ron

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by ronp:
Who the heck is Terry Haines?

Highly respected tranny rebuilder.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by ronp:
Who the heck is Terry Haines?

Highly respected tranny rebuilder.

Moreso: Not just "a" tranny rebuilder..
He was involved in the design and engineering of the MTX-75 (transaxle used in the Contour...) as well as other key aspects of the entire platform. He is "the guy to go to" when you want ANYTHING done with the MTX-75... He (for lack of a better word) created the darn thing...

HMS will likely be very slow for business for a few weeks at least, with his recent announcement in the General forum.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I also am having this same "metallic grind" sound coming from my car. I have the 2.5 and when I give it gas from a complete stop or moving really slow and give it gas in second i get this quick grind sound. It has been doing it for a long time and I do not notice any performance issues what so ever. What could it be? I would LOVE to figure it out! Its driving me crazy. What is this heatshield that FavMystique is talking about??

Midnight Red 95 Contour SE 5 speed, fully loaded. kkm M.A.F. adapter w/ K&N ru-3530, single Magnaflow muffler w/ no res. 2.25" custom catback exhaust, grafite painted stock 95 SE rims on bfgoodrich touring T/A's, 35% window tint around.
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I have been trying to figure out this sound out for quite some time now. Noone else has experienced this before??

Midnight Red 95 Contour SE 5 speed, fully loaded. kkm M.A.F. adapter w/ K&N ru-3530, single Magnaflow muffler w/ no res. 2.25" custom catback exhaust, grafite painted stock 95 SE rims on bfgoodrich touring T/A's, 35% window tint around.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard