Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1353805 08/05/05 04:56 PM
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Odd, could just be the fan kicking in but early this week was out into town (yeah, hotter than the gates of hell here) and I did notice the fan came on and then a humming whine sound.

anything to be concerned about?

#1353806 08/05/05 05:08 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by 96 2.5L GL Auto:
Odd, could just be the fan kicking in but early this week was out into town (yeah, hotter than the gates of hell here) and I did notice the fan came on and then a humming whine sound.

I've had the humming sound before when it was very hot, I was in stop and go traffic and I did not have the A/c on. I did notice when it came on, the temp gauge started going from RM to OR. I attribute my situation to the fan kicking on. Now, with the A/C on, I don't hear it kicking on (probably because the sound of the air rushing out of the vent was masking the sound).

I wonder if the whine sound that you hear is the start of the dreaded "moose" which ends up becoming like a foghorn like sound.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1353807 08/05/05 09:32 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

anything to be concerned about?

My previous post alluded to No. But.......

If it happens again, look at the temp gauge, if it is closer to AL, then you may want to check if the engine is overheating. If the engine is overheating, you will want to take care of it immediately.

In any case, there are a few things for you to check.

1) Is the oil level at maximum?
2) Has oil and filter been changed in the past 5k KM or 6 months?
3) Is the coolant level 10 mm above maximum?
4) Has the coolant been changed in the past 50k KM or 3 years? Check coolant strength (buy one of those $5 testers).
5) Is there a CEL? Get it scanned at an autoparts store (or buy one for $50 up). Most times, this is not mentioned as "it has been on for the past year".

#1353808 08/08/05 12:17 AM
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Oil is good (yes, i do check it and it was changed 1500km ago). Rad was flushed last fall as was transm. All the fluids are appropriately filled

Was back out on Saturday and no noise was heard. Must assume that it was just the fan due to the extreme heat that day. I don't usually take the old girl out in that kind of heat (hell the driver doesn't want to go either when the A/C has never worked haha). Even in that heat, unless I'm stuck in traffic, the temp rarely climbs over N-O.

Yep a CEL but it's vacuum leak codes and there's just no way I'm going to lean my bits n' pieces over a running motor to find that pesky hiss that I can hear (and occasional raw fuel)- am a tad short to even check the trans fluid.

Will be keeping a close ear on it.
TYTY for opinions. Slept better

#1353809 08/08/05 12:35 AM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
I don't usually take the old girl out in that kind of heat (hell the driver doesn't want to go either when the A/C has never worked haha).

Yep a CEL but it's vacuum leak codes and there's just no way I'm going to lean my bits n' pieces over a running motor to find that pesky hiss that I can hear (and occasional raw fuel)- am a tad short to even check the trans fluid.

LOL. I like your statements and graphic descriptions. LOL.

But seriously, you may want to post the CEL codes and then (or just) take care of the lean codes issues. Good luck!

Edit. The raw fuel might cause a P0420 and P0430 code (pre-catalytic converter disintegration). That could cause something like $1000 each to fix. So might be a good idea to get that taken care of (post the lean codes so that we can help). But it is, of course, up to you. Good luck!

Last edited by Tony2005; 08/08/05 12:42 AM.

#1353810 08/08/05 02:00 AM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
The fan should come on when the temperature is on the M in normal for a while, it does on both of our V6 Mystiques. The temp should drop and the fan will stop. That is "low speed mode" same as when you turn on the a/c and the radiator fan starts. I have found the (noisy) high speed mode comes on (low, high a minute,low,hi etc) if the a/c is in use on a very hot day 90 degrees. I have had a "moan" come from the air filter box if I restart the car after stopping in a store for 10 minutes, hot day. You will feel the vibration in the plastic box, and then it will stop by itself. Something to do with emissions control, I think.
I studied the fan system, after replacing my waterpump, and watching for any sign of overheating.

#1353811 08/08/05 02:26 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
If the code is still a lean code, and its the only one you have, you might look in to your injector o-rings being replaced. This can be done in about 35 minutes, even though it seems like its really complicated.

There is a very detailed write up under the duratec maintenance forum, in the stickied FAQ (under "UIM/LIM rebuild"

I suggest doing a UIM/LIM rebuild with that many miles to restore power (you've lost more than you think....), gas mileage, efficiency, and to eliminate that code.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1353812 08/08/05 11:22 PM
A
A
I have a similar issue with my 2.5 duratec 98. When i start the engine I hear a whine after putting it into reverse or drive. It goes away if i accelerate and about after 3 minutes of driving and it only happens when its really hot and generally muggy.

I have no idea what it is. My engine temperature is not an issue though.

#1353813 08/08/05 11:40 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by alaric:
When i start the engine I hear a whine after putting it into reverse or drive. It goes away if i accelerate and about after 3 minutes of driving and it only happens when its really hot and generally muggy.

If it is a high pitch squeal or shriek, it is probably the belts. If it sounds more like a foghorn (maybe a little higher than this web site, then it is the "moosing" epidemic to us Duratec owners. Open the hood, windows and then put it in drive and reverse and see if you can identify where the sound is next time.

http://www.sanpedro.com/sounds/foghrn10.wav

#1353814 08/09/05 04:33 PM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by alaric:
When i start the engine I hear a whine after putting it into reverse or drive. It goes away if i accelerate and about after 3 minutes of driving and it only happens when its really hot and generally muggy.

If it is a high pitch squeal or shriek, it is probably the belts. If it sounds more like a foghorn (maybe a little higher than this web site, then it is the "moosing" epidemic to us Duratec owners. Open the hood, windows and then put it in drive and reverse and see if you can identify where the sound is next time.

http://www.sanpedro.com/sounds/foghrn10.wav

HAHA I love the example of the boat foghorn to describe the sound from our cars lol.

The greatest stealth car ever... CSVT 1998 2.5L V6 MTX KKM intake with BAT pipe Magnaflow resonator other Audio enhancements
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard