Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Any reccomendations on what grit to use to take off the krylon fusion? There's a hefty amount of coats on there...

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
That looks sweet, and unless someone is pushing their face into your trunk lid, at which point you need to ask them WTF?, You won't notice it! Looks nice though.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by hotdimmes:
Any reccomendations on what grit to use to take off the krylon fusion? There's a hefty amount of coats on there...

I wouldn't worry about "taking it off". Just start as if you had not painted it in the first place. Sand, primer, sand, paint, wet sand, paint again, etc, then clear coat it. You didn't do a bad job, you just didn't prep the surface properly. BTW, I love the way it looks. I did mine last week and it looks the way Ford should have done it in the first place.

WA 2 TUFF SVT 2000 Tropic Green SVT Born 1/28/2000-1975 out of 2150-only 207 made. Some new pics
H
H
I dont know if you need to start over. i used it to paint some parts and mine looked flat like that until I put on some additional coats. how many did you put on. my parts all came out great nice and glossy with about 4 thin layers.

H
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
H
my coats went into double digits...but the earlier coats probably shouldn't count as they were done in the wind and probably caused it to look not so hot

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
real nice !!!! loooks great

Check me out for awsome powder coating deals www.powdercoatingworld.com People shouldn't slam each other when posting, If you cant say something good to say then just hit the back arrow.
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Wetsand it and clearcoat it.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
H
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Well I figured out the problem. I was going by the reccomended 8-10inch distance/thin quick coats suggestion on the can. Boy is that not the way to get gloss. So I got my sail panels all shiny and stuntin' if you will, but still kinda uneven looking at certain angles. I'm guessing the remedy is wetsand and maybe a recoat but any reccomendations on grit level? 1000-2000 right?

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
No. 600 grit is fine enough to be coverd by paint and will be course enough to cut it down flat.

You should really paint it right with a 2 stage paint and do all the correct prep work. Krylon Fusion paint isn't magic paint that allows you to skip the prep work.

There is a lot of mis-information in this thread

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
H
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Isn't the proof in the pudding though? I mean I've seen pictures of people's cars with the parts I'm doing done in Krylon Fusion Black Gloss and it looks fine to me and has held up well according to those people.

Also, I think it actually IS magic paint that allows you to skip a few steps...at the understood loss of some paint quality. Obviously it isn't going to look amazing...but it could look good enough for now until I can actually get it professionally done. If it looks bad and chips...well lesson learned and I'm out 10 dollars, but if it goes the distance for me, then I probably saved myself 100 dollars.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard