Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
I read in another post about a bad crankshaft position sensor being the cause of a crank/no-start condition. I have a 1997 Contour Sport, and I had the car parked in the garage for a couple weeks with very little fuel in the tank...I tried to pull it out a week ago and it wouldn't start. I put fuel in it, still no start.

Changed the fuel filter, plugs and plug wires, tested the coil pack for proper voltages between the coil towers and between the pins, all to spec, and checked the battery voltage with a voltmeter...it's between 12 and 13 volts. I read a post similar to my problem that suggested water in the fuel, so I put a bottle of that HEET stuff in the tank and let it sit, then tried to start it. Still no start.

Since the battery isn't dead and I just got this battery last summer, I didn't think it was a battery issue, but I decided to jump it anyway off of the battery in another car, and it cranked over at a normal rate but still wouldn't start.
When off of the jumpers, it will crank, but very very slowly. Not sure what to do now, other than buy another battery and see if it's just a bad battery. But I'd like to see if I can get other opinions and I'd like to know if anyone has voltage specs on any of the engine control sensors such as the CPS or TPS and if those would cause the problems I'm experiencing. I have a service manual but can't find voltage numbers or testing procedures for sensors.

Thanks.

1997 Ford Contour Sport, 2.5L Duratec V6, MTX
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I think you are going in an overly complex direction.

Have the battery load tested. If it's OK, check battery to starter wiring (including grounds).

Once it cranks good check for the big three:
  • Gas
  • Spark
  • Air

Yes air, if the IAC is stuck closed you will not be able to start it without holding the gas pedal down. It will also likely be flooded.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard