Next Thread
Print Thread
M
MazTour Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I posted a little while back,oh,probably a month ago,when I bought a billet fuel door,not knowing it was for trucks/SUVs,so it was oversized for our cars. I installed it anyways and it looked like crap. Well,that was when my car was dark looking,with no brightwork except the chrome on the bumpers,and had my steel rims,dark tinted windows and looking otherwise stock.

Now,since I bought,and later returned that fuel door,I've added E1 rims,painted my calipers,grille,dash,console and door handle trim silver and 2 grey decals. Well,on my green car,all the silver and grey certainly stands out. I happened to be in Canadian Tire today,when I just happened to find that elusive Haynes manual I've been looking all over for. As I was walking through the automotive section,I walked by the display case and saw the fuel door that I had returned,still in the package all taped up from when I opened it. So I bought it again,thinking it might look better on the car now,and read that another CEG'er bought the same door,but milled it down on a lathe to fit flush.

I got home and tacked it on the car,and it looked really gaudy,being bright polished aluminum. I was just as disgusted as last time,but than an idea hit me...

SPRAY IT SILVER!!! After 5 coats of silver paint and 5 coats of clear,it was toned right down,and is only a few shades brighter than my dirty E1 rims. It doesn't smack you in the face nearly as hard as the polished alu. did,and it blends in with the silver and grey on green theme I've got going throughout the car.

All in all I am much happier with the install this time,as people have been seeing my car getting more and more done up,but they ALWAYS point out the missing fuel door.

I figure $50 CDN for this door and then just a little time and labour to make it fit is much better than spending $175 US for the Mustang billet door. My grandad has a lathe in his shop,so maybe I'll get him to mill it down for me so it fits flush,but it looks alright for now. I think maybe I'll keep it on like this,or milled down,until I have the money to buy the proper Mustang one.

Sorry for making you read a novel,lol

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
all that and no pics?

1996 Contour V6 2.5L 24V 5 speed Shift knob: pilot Nickel Metallic Millennium Plus Series Foglights: Pilot Pictures: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/787584
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by chbix:
all that and no pics?

massivly good point right here.

Goonz12: <---tries on mommy's cloths
M
MazTour Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
lol,well I had it on the car for a day,and then the silver started bugging me. The door still looked big.

So about an hour ago I just sprayed it black. Looks better now.

And I don't have pics because my digi cam has been busted since March and my step dad is gone for the weekend and has his digi cam with him.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard