Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
you need to either get a new/used y-pipe. Or if you can find a muffler shop to chop off and replace the flange with a new one.

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
D
dstock Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
This was my fear, wheres the cheapest place to get one. Either online or in michigan.

D
dstock Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
So by cutting of the end or flange, I can install a new one and put everything back together. My question is to wha that vetical rod at the end of the pipe is, I'massuming it doesn't go all through the pipe.

And theres no way with good enough support to retap the end and put a new bolt it?

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
The metal rod at the exit to the y is actually where your two exhaust manifold pipes are CRUSHED together. If you're gonna have a new flange installed, get the Y pipe modded to flow better. Prolly won't cost much extra - if anything.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
D
dstock Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
So will a muffler shop have a 2 bolt flange they can install. I guessing the will cut off the old one and just weld a new one on. I'm guessing I can have them jsut take out the one bolt that is left there and install a deadbolk will a lock washer on teh end and that should do it.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by dstock:
So will a muffler shop have a 2 bolt flange they can install. I guessing the will cut off the old one and just weld a new one on. I'm guessing I can have them jsut take out the one bolt that is left there and install a deadbolk will a lock washer on teh end and that should do it.

For that SVT flex coupling, I don't know if they will have one available. If the shop can't get one, your best bet might be to pick up a stock SVT Y pipe from the classifieds. If the shop can't get one, your only other alternatives would be a new Y pipe at the $tealer$hip, or have the shop custom fab a standard flange and a flex pipe.

If I were in your shoes, & I was paying the money, I'd just pick up a replacement stock SVT Y & cat from a CEGer.

D
dstock Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Reminder I do not have an SVT, just regular SE V6.

My friend is pretty much the brains of this operation and we do the work. He suggested a combination of two L clamps with some sheet metal holding the and the clamp together, then welding them all together.

That's impossible to picture even for me, but basically I'm guessing a piece of sheet metal(gasket) betweeen the end y pipe flange and cat, and welding both ends to that.

Question overall is will welding the cat to the y pipe hurt anything? I know with the bolts that were in there it could move a little but and a weld will not do the same?

My initial thoughts when I broke it were to screw in the one bolt that is still there and weld the other side.

Thoughts?

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Question overall is will welding the cat to the y pipe hurt anything? I know with the bolts that were in there it could move a little but and a weld will not do the same?

That appears to be an SVT flex joint. If you weld that solid to the cat, the whole exhaust system will take the rotational torque movement of the engine. That could result in a broken/cracked exhaust manifold or worse. Need some flex in that location...

D
dstock Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Hmmm. Darn. I'll have to visit my local junkyard to see if I can get anything there from them, if not I'll take it to muffler shop and see what they can do.

B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

That appears to be an SVT flex joint. If you weld that solid to the cat, the whole exhaust system will take the rotational torque movement of the engine. That could result in a broken/cracked exhaust manifold or worse. Need some flex in that location...

There is no such thing as an "SVT flex joint". There's two bolt style and 3 bolt style, both are the same for SVT and non-SVT V6 engines. It is dependent on the year as to which flex joint you have. You are correct about not welding the joint solid though, don't do that.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard