Next Thread
Print Thread
#1345319 07/27/05 03:41 AM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
This post is not only about the knock sensor, it has a story along with it. About two months ago I bought a used zetec engine from a junkyard and it ran fine..as time went on it began to knock louder and louder but not under acceleration. I had them ship me another engine and its giving me the same noise immediately after install. I have not replaced the plugs or ignition coil. Would either of these give me a knock? I also want to try replacing the knock sensor if our car has one. Any suggestions?

cta intake essilenger udp odp 9mm ford racing wires hp accel coil custom fog lights svt kit with micahs pre98 svt bumper 17 inch speedy holotype wheels 215 45 Ventus HRII tires custom wood dash magnaflow exhaust
#1345320 07/27/05 12:30 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Sure it is not a loose exhaust?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1345321 07/27/05 01:41 PM
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Contour39191:
it began to knock louder and louder but not under acceleration.

Pre-ignition or detonation, which are what are commonly meant when using the word "knock", don't happen unless you're accelerating. If your car knocks when you're not accelerating, you have some mechanical problem like bad rod bearings, piston slap, slipped timing belt, etc...
Quote:

I have not replaced the plugs or ignition coil. Would either of these give me a knock? I also want to try replacing the knock sensor if our car has one.

None of those things will address the mechanical issue it sounds like you are having...they can only address pre-ignition or detonation related issues...

If you're not sure how to tell the difference between a detonation knock and a rod bearing knock by listening to it, then you should probably bring the car to a competent diagnostic technician and have him/her listen to it...then you'll know what direction to go in...otherwise you're just throwing parts at the problem.

'99 'Tour (actually my brother-in-law's, but I'm the family wrench)
#1345322 07/27/05 02:43 PM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
If the engine is running in time, what would cause piston slap? Could the timing belt have slipped causing this or what. I took the other engine that was giving me the same sound apart and the bearings were in perfect condition.

cta intake essilenger udp odp 9mm ford racing wires hp accel coil custom fog lights svt kit with micahs pre98 svt bumper 17 inch speedy holotype wheels 215 45 Ventus HRII tires custom wood dash magnaflow exhaust
#1345323 07/27/05 03:19 PM
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
Piston slap is usually a design issue, not an actual fault...I just threw that in as an example of other things that can cause a "knock" sound.

If the timing belt has slipped, the car would probably run very poorly, so that's most likely not your problem either...

If the other engine had perfect bearings and this one is doing the exact same thing, perhaps it's not an engine problem at all... something in the transaxle or torque converter could be wrong. I had an old Buick once that had a weird kind of "nuk-nuk-nuk" sound that was due to a cracked flex plate. I don't know much about the CD4E transaxle, so hopefully someone else will have some better answers for you.

'99 'Tour (actually my brother-in-law's, but I'm the family wrench)
#1345324 07/27/05 04:39 PM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
After closely inspecting the engine noise, I realized its not the engine at all. I think that my flywheel or either torque converter is hitting the bellhousing or either the underside of where the engine mounts to the trans. Anyone know how to correct the problem. Engine is running very strong even no misses.

#1345325 07/27/05 05:25 PM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
I found the exact problem. The flywheel is hitting the underside of the engine. I must have bent the torque converter when installing the engine. I plan to take it to a shop to have the torque converter and flywheel replaced, any ideas on cost?

#1345326 07/29/05 05:01 AM
U
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
U
it depends on how much the shop charges for labor but I just looked on my alldata account and it lists the time to replace the flywheel at 9.2 hours but then all data is a little light on their time rates so it's probably closer to 10.5. so I'd say to replace both shouldn't be more than 12 hours at the very max and then say the labor rate is 50 per hour your looking at $600 plus the parts.

Did you install the engine yourself or did someone else do it? cause it's VERY hard to bend the flywheel unless you didn't get it lined up on the alignment dowel holes. if you did it though it's on you but if a shop did it then they should fix it cause its ther flub up.

99 ATX Contour 130k w/ a 21k tranny freshly installed Secret Project in the works
Originally posted by unknown:
Never argue with an idiot, ppl may not be able to tell the difference between you.

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard