Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1344062 07/26/05 05:10 AM
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Thanks to some wonderful tutorials, I decided to give the U/LIM cleaning and re-gasketing a shot... It was more of an undertaking than I thought, but with a little patience I was soon fully dismantled. Cleaned those babies out (what sort of brush do you guys use on the UIM, by the way?)

Then I went to re-assemble everything and then [censored] hit the fan. The very first bolt going through the Lower manifold snapped! Now I have about 3/4" of the bolt tip stuck in the head Am I not supposed to use an extension with a torque wrench??? Or did the damn wrench fail? I was going blissfully along, waiting for the suble break of the torque wrench when all of a sudden, BANG - no more bolt. What do I do now? Whats the best way to extract a bolt/screw tip in this situation?

debated whether to post in troubleshooting or maintenence, think i chose correctly

1999 Contour SE - Duratec MTX
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Thinking a large Tq wrench wasn't the way to go. You also shouldn't be using a tq wrench to loosen bolts. A 3/8 ratchet would be the best to use. Those bolts are only 7 foot lbs!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Ouch. Todd's right though. A ratchet would have done the job sufficiently.

We all live and learn though. If that happened to me, I would take the rest of the UIM off the car (if it isn't already) and try to clamp something to the broken bolt, something with teeth and can be made pretty tight..

My brain's not working. I know there has to be a tool you can use that will twist it loose.. good luck with it!

K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Vise-Grips

'00 T-Red TourSE 2.5L ATX Foglight Mod,Optimized Y-Pipe & TB, FSVT F/P,RU-3530 http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/688552
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Throw a pair of vice-grips on it and see if that does the trick. Just go easy with it and take your time.

-Chris 2000 SE Sport V6 5spd (all stock except for EO brakes)
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
And when cleaning the lower don't let the cleaner run into the cylinders. Enough of that stuff will lock up the engine! I've seen too many folks complaining that the engine wouldn't turn over after the cleaning. Removing the spark plugs will fix this problem if it locks up.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Vice grips are the answer to everything! No garage should be without them.

Black 2000 SVT Contour w/ Prairie Tan MSDS Headers | Magnaflow | Mirko Splitter | Fidanza Short Throw Shifter | Kenwood KVT-815 LCD/DVD
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Big_B:
Vice grips are the answer to everything! No garage should be without them.

Several different types!

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Vice grips did the trick Thankfully there was enough of the broken bolt sticking out of the head to get a grip on... Unfortunately, I think during the process I screwed up the IMRC thingie (is the part where it looks like a throttle spring called the butterfly??) I also lost the retaining clip on the throttle cable... So all in all, engine runs great, except for the damned throttle (and I'll wait and see how the secondaries are behaving in the next day or so)

1999 Contour SE - Duratec MTX
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
if your secondaries did get messed up, you could put a built 3L in there and just not worry about them

Goonz12: <---tries on mommy's cloths
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard