Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Coheed Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
What problems could an over pressure situation cuase?? I put a guage on my low presure side today to check it and it was in the red! around 70psi!! My AC is Hot! it will every now and then be kinda cool but no where near where it should. Thanks

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
If you read the instructions the red would tell you something is wrong with a part. I'm guessing a failed compressor.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Measure it while the compressor is running and the fan is running At rest the pressure will be high. Sould be about 30 psi running, if it drops to 23 it will cycle off.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I just rebuilt the AC on my 98 zetec.
Low pressure is around 40 to 45 psi at 90 degrees outdoor temp.
Max cooling gives an air outlet temp as low as 38 to 40.

System had been open to the air for years.
It took a new receiver drier, compressor, o rings, 8 ozs. pag 100 oil. And I flushed all the lines with solvent and blew them dry with compressed air. I called several ford service dealers, when totally dry, the A/C system takes a 10 oz charge. One shop said 7 ozs. I vacuumed it down to 29 overnight. Put in 2 12 oz cans. So far it is working well.
I hated working on it. It had 2 leaks, one in the compressor shaft seal, and one in the manifold hose off the compressor. If you are trying to find a leak, isolate the components and add in hoses etc... as you go. I disconnected everything and used soft rubber to seal fitting ends to find my leaks. So i would get a vac to hold a part at a time. I was very happy to find the evaporator and condenser were in good shape.

F
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
F
if you have a high side gauge, put it on, if the pressure is the same on both the high and low, your compressor is not pumping.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Your system is not overcharged or over pressure. As noted, your compressor is not running.

Possible culprits include the clutch, clutch connector (had that one), clutch relay, low pressure cycling switch, high pressure cutout switch, or the PCM. You have presented no evidence yet that indicates the compressor itself is defective.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
If his compressor is running and the pressure is 70, then it is not pumping refrigerant and it is likely bad. Or his orfice tube is destroyed or missing and the refrigerant is just moving thru the system with no pressure differentials.
You can jump the low pressure switch on the reciever drier. Just take off the plug and jumper the plug and see if it runs.

C
Coheed Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Steve, the compressor will click on and off, I can hear the relay, click it on, the rpm will change, then it will click off and the rpm will go back, and it will do this back and forth. Sometimes the AC setting not max AC will blow cold air just fine.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Your R134 level is low, my car did that cycling until I recharged and found the leak. If it is hot like 85-90 outside, the compressor should run steady.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
Your system is not overcharged or over pressure. As noted, your compressor is not running.

Possible culprits include the clutch, clutch connector (had that one), clutch relay, low pressure cycling switch, high pressure cutout switch, or the PCM. You have presented no evidence yet that indicates the compressor itself is defective.

Steve

I agree with projectSHO89....one of those is the culprit...my first guess would be the pressure switch not activating the compressor clutch...you can test if its the pressure switch by jumping the plug wire to the pressure switch and see if the clutch engages...if it does, then get a new switch.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard