Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
E
Hi,

I'm going to assume the last post was directed at me. The purpose of the switch is to give me control of the compressor when I have the defroster on, otherwise it cycles constantly and drives me crazy. When the compressor cycles it causes a very annoying surge and PCM commanded rise in fuel flow. That last little bit is kind of spooky when I'm creeping along in 1st in the middle of a traffic jam. If I get a little too close and the D@*$%^** compressor kicks in...well let's just say...I hate being awakened from a perfectly good commute sleep! laugh In addition to that cool feature I now can have air entering the cabin at head level and not hit me in the face and dry out my poor tired eyes laugh

...Ed

2000 Silver Frost SVT
#1625 14 Jan 2000
Dual Mode Dampener
A/C switched
K&N Dropin
Magnecor
R
R
this might sorta be off topic but what about removing the a/c? Ive heard of a lot of people doing it to reduce weight. I almost never use mine so id be willin to remove it if the pros outweighed the cons. Anyone have more information on this?

doctor say i need a backiotomi
98 silver frost svt.
#1232/6535
The Duratech handles the AC better than a Zetec. I had a 97 and it had no power with it on.

My new V6 car it's seems to run only a little less HP.

TIP: Installing a new cabin air filter helps the AC work better, less time on, less drag, less power loss.

2000 SE fleet, V6, ATX, ABS, no spoiler, T-Green/tan. Built 01/2000 in MO.
Added 12 spoke factory SE rims, K&N. Biggest mod: ESP Plan!
P
P
I barely even notice the AC compressor engaging with the TDI. Must be all that MaD DiEZeL ToRK! The air is ice cold and it has a separate on/off and recirculation button, rather than the Max AC/AC/and automatic AC cycling in def.

I remember that Consumer Reports tested pickups and wondered about the tailgate. Their tests proved inconclusive.

P. Valdez

1998 VW Jetta TDI
1.9L I4 direct injection turbo diesel
5 speed manual
no mods, no money

AIM:PackRatTDI

My exhaust smells better than yours.
P
P
Quote:
Originally posted by Qbert:
Quote:
Originally posted by ProudSVT:
[b]It cycles on and off, thanks to the lightened flywheel on an SVT you can feel it.
WOW! I can feel mine without a lightened flywheel. I pi55es me off cause it feels like the car loses 20hp everytime the thing turns on. Now when I'm on a road trip I put cruise on so I don't have to feel the thing surge all the time... Just give me an ON / OFF button and I would be a much happier camper![/b]
Read my quote again. If you have an SVT, you have a lightened flywheel compaired to a regular MTX contour. Someone posted a fix for this a few months ago, search for it if you want.

B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by F111D F:
Recirculate should only be used for short time, because it also tends to in pull fumes in from the rear of the car. When it's super hot out and this wonderful 134a I've been forced to use MAX but every 15-20 minutes I'd pull air in from the outside (AC) for a few minutes, just to be safe.
In numerous, bladder-busting, 80mph jaunts across the desolate stretches of I-10 in Florida in 100 degree heat, I've absolutely never had such a problem running the system completely on Max, regardless of fan speed setting (usually on 1 or 2).

Brinn Riley
Melbourne, FL
'00 Black/Tan SVT Contour #560
G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffyscott:
Also if you set the temp above the coldest position...how does it make the air warmer?
Folks have already answered your first question (the compressor cycles on/off). As for your second question, when you set the temp knob warmer the heat comes from the heater core.

Black '98.0 GL V6/MTX, tints, SVT airbox (sans fender boot), stock muffler replaced with spiral racing muffler, A6 side markers, Cougar 16" polished wheels w/ bald 205/50/16 Yoko A520's, Mobil 1 5W30, Castrol SATF/Ford FM tranny cocktail, 9005 high-beam bulbs all around, re-aimed stock foglights
H
H
Gerald:
I guess my analogy masked the answer, eh?
smile

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 110,000km
97 Contour LX v6 atx 125,000km
stock CD on LS, cass on LX
spoiler, tinted windows on LS only
4 wheel discs on LX only
All other available options on both
G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by horseydug:
[b]Gerald:
smile [/b]
Ooops, I missed that... Well I guess my excuse is that I was still wiped from Spring Zing. cool

Black '98.0 GL V6/MTX, tints, SVT airbox (sans fender boot), stock muffler replaced with spiral racing muffler, A6 side markers, Cougar 16" polished wheels w/ bald 205/50/16 Yoko A520's, Mobil 1 5W30, Castrol SATF/Ford FM tranny cocktail, 9005 high-beam bulbs all around, re-aimed stock foglights
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerald:
Quote:
Originally posted by horseydug:
[b][b]Gerald:
smile [/b]
Ooops, I missed that... Well I guess my excuse is that I was still wiped from Spring Zing. cool [/b]
Thank you both for taking the time to answer. smile

I think this means that whatever else you may do it is more efficient to keep the a/c at lowest temp setting (unless that makes it too cold). So rather than say run max a/c with temp set higher (nobody does that do they?) it is better to have it on regular a/c with temp at minimum (and higher blower setting if needed).

1996 Contour GL Sport, Zetec, MTX

1995 Contour GL, Zetec, MTX
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard