Next Thread
Print Thread
C
chbix Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Ok so my car has been having temperature issues, figured it was the WP because its a pre 98. SO I get the new one with the black plastic impeller, i take the old one off and its the metal implellar, ,,,,
so should I replace it anyway or leave the old one on? new one has a lifetime warranty??

1996 Contour V6 2.5L 24V 5 speed Shift knob: pilot Nickel Metallic Millennium Plus Series Foglights: Pilot Pictures: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/787584
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
If it has the metal impeller it obviously is not shattered. If you firlmly hold the pulley, can you turn the impeller (is the impeller slipping on the shaft)? Is there any evidence of a leak at the front pump seal? Is there any evidence that the bearing is loose or seized? If not, I would reinstall the metal impellar pump and look elsewhere for your overheating problem.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
C
chbix Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
theres no other signs as you mentioned, but comparing the new one to the old one, the old one is slipping and turns a lot looser than the new one. So I put the new one in. Ill keep the old one around in case there is every a problem, but the new one has lifetime warranty so i can always get a new one if needed.

Thanks for your input jim.

1996 Contour V6 2.5L 24V 5 speed Shift knob: pilot Nickel Metallic Millennium Plus Series Foglights: Pilot Pictures: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/787584
C
C
U mean the metal one is slipping??

C
chbix Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
yes, there was noticable amount of wear on the entire part. and the bearing wasnt turning right. Probably could have waited for another 20,000 or so miles, but now i feel better knowing a) that it had already been change, and b) that I have a new one in there, plus changed thermostat and basicall flushed the coolant.

I also replaced my cracked resivoir. so think its good to go.

C
C
I was about to buy a metal waterpump, just as a preventive maintenance because i don't know if i have an old WP with black plastic impeller, or the new one with white plastic impeller. I think i 'm going to buy a white plastic one finally.

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
New pump= metal impeller

Old pump= plastic impeller

Try using some Redline water wetter AFTER you flush and re-fill the cooling system....could be a blockage in your engine and a good flush may bring things up to par again.

A1C Hodges, Christopher Active Duty USAF Sheppard AFB Texas;Westover ARB Chicopee, MA NECEG "Troll" formerly owned 2000 SVT Contour, with all kinds of goodies;)
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Correction:

Older styles are plastic (black) and newer are white (still plastic..) Metal is only available as an aftermarket piece.

My vote is for a white plastic, of the two newer options you can choose.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

C
C
Originally posted by Ray:
Correction:

Older styles are plastic (black) and newer are white (still plastic..) Metal is only available as an aftermarket piece.

My vote is for a white plastic, of the two newer options you can choose.

Ray

Ray, as a duratec expert, u mean u don't trust in metal pump?

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
BLAH!!!

I am NOT a duratec expert.

I trust both the metal and white. PERSONALLY, I would go with the white.

I've seen far too many failures with blacks, as we can all agree on.

Of the metal and white, I have seen the metals fail MORE than the whites.. not to say that the metals fail ALOT, just they have failed MORE than whites.

spinning on the shaft, and leaking around the weephole from poor seals have been what pushed be away. That compared with a slightly more expensive tag on them, makes me choose whites.

I think we can agree that either is a million times better than the black you'd be replacing.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Link Copied to Clipboard