Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tbarney Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
I recently installed an OMP front strut tower bar, and it seems tight in two places on the drivers side:
First: Against some of the air conditioning lines (at least I think that is what they are). From reading here I expected that.
Second: it is VERY tight against the brake fluid reservior and it's cap. So tight that I won't be able to get the cap off without taking the bar out.
Is it normal to be that tight? And is there a different cap, like a pop-top cap or something, that I can put in so that I can fill the fluid?

Thanks,
tom

99 Sport ATX 1 owner, 94k Mobile 1 since 1k Mods:Sony MD Player, Sony XA-300 expansion unit, Sony CD Changer, XM Radio, 350Watt Alpine Amp, 2 10" Subs, Remote starter, glow gauges, K&N filter,OMP Front STB, SVT Exhaust(no res.)
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
i hope you get the fitting problem solved, when you do let me know how the omp bar is i was considering getting one

koni kit - hpp rstb camber/plates - cf (yikes!) polyroll resistors - TCA's WR headers/ypipe -TB hiflow cat SFC's - XCal2 -dreaming of 3L-
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
being tight against that padded line is normal (again, like you ive seen it mentioned quite a bit on here).

as far as the brake res. cap, mine isnt even close.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
shouldn't be close at all

to get the AC line back and out of the way follow it towards the drivers side wheel, you will find a mounting bracket and a plastic nut, just take the bracket off there and the AC line will easily move backwards over the brake booster and sit nicely behind the FSTB. also watch the throtle cable, i reran mine to get it out of the way alittle

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by brapple:
shouldn't be close at all

to get the AC line back and out of the way follow it towards the drivers side wheel, you will find a mounting bracket and a plastic nut, just take the bracket off there and the AC line will easily move backwards over the brake booster and sit nicely behind the FSTB. also watch the throtle cable, i reran mine to get it out of the way alittle

On my 96 SE i had no problem like you, however on my 98.5SVT I had the same problems that many others did. I think perhaps something changed?

Goonz12: <---tries on mommy's cloths
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
It looks like if you had the mounts on the wrong side (passenger side mount turned 180 degrees and on driver side)then the bar would be directed more to the front of the car. It looks like in the photos of everyone without this problem the bar installed show the mounts directing the bar slightly backwards.

If not, just ignore me

D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
there is a problem reversing it on the 98+ (atleast the svt) where there is something... i forget what... in the way. Origionally on my 96 we had the bar facing the other way with absolutely no issue. On the SVT though we had to just pull the AC line ( i guess) out just a bit and put the brace behind it. no damage or anything as it was moved very slightly, had no problems.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by arseum:
It looks like if you had the mounts on the wrong side (passenger side mount turned 180 degrees and on driver side)then the bar would be directed more to the front of the car. It looks like in the photos of everyone without this problem the bar installed show the mounts directing the bar slightly backwards.

If not, just ignore me

i beleive the original poster said that it was against the firewall like normal, a pic would help

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by DopePope:
there is a problem reversing it on the 98+ (atleast the svt) where there is something... i forget what... in the way. Origionally on my 96 we had the bar facing the other way with absolutely no issue. On the SVT though we had to just pull the AC line ( i guess) out just a bit and put the brace behind it. no damage or anything as it was moved very slightly, had no problems.

i think you are thinking of the difference between a zetec and a duratec, a zetec doesn't have the AC line over the brake booster, on teh duratec it is there and is in the way because the bar and the AC line want to live in the same spot

not the round black type thing on the back of the manifold near the vacuum line might be the issue with the duratec also, I beleive a bar that comes straight across, like the SHo one that bolted to the struts would contact this and cause it to break from its mount

again a pic would help, I can host if needed

D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
i'd take a pic if i still had the car, but maybe i can circle what im talking about in the pictures above. both cars were v6's. not sure why there were different fitment issues, maybe one was a freak, but I just assumed that there had been a minor change.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard