Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Paul9 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
This is the situation:

98 Contour Sport. Regular oil checks. Just replaced spark plugs and air filters.

It idles a little erratically (750 drops to 500 then back), and has started hiccuping/hesitating/pausing/stuttering on the acceleration (either at a light or entering a highway). It runs well at a constant speed but is still troubling.

From everything I've researched, I'm of the mind that it might be clogged/dirty spark plug wires or the ignition coil. Otherwise, perhaps a fuel filter and/or pump.

Any other suggestions? If I did the wires and coil myself, any idea how long and expensive it would be (I'm in Canada).

Thanks... and this is my first posting... just joined.
P.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome. Do the easy and cheap things first. Check (change) the air filter and change the fuel filter first. Maybe spark plugs were not gapped correctly. Ray is an advocate of us gapping it ourselves rather than relying on it being pre-gapped.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Originally posted by Paul9:
This is the situation:

98 Contour Sport. Regular oil checks. Just replaced spark plugs and air filters.

It idles a little erratically (750 drops to 500 then back), and has started hiccuping/hesitating/pausing/stuttering on the acceleration (either at a light or entering a highway). It runs well at a constant speed but is still troubling.

From everything I've researched, I'm of the mind that it might be clogged/dirty spark plug wires or the ignition coil. Otherwise, perhaps a fuel filter and/or pump.

Any other suggestions? If I did the wires and coil myself, any idea how long and expensive it would be (I'm in Canada).

Thanks... and this is my first posting... just joined.
P.

My car does the exact thing sometimes. Not all that often, and I haven't gotten around to seeing what it it. Of course it might be different in your case because you might have a v6 where I have a 4 banger.

-Peter

P
Paul9 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
It's a 4cyl.

(Unfortunately, it was leased before I bought it so I couldn't tell if any damage had been done to the car. The person who leased it must've driven the hell out of it because I've had to replace the brakes and the trannie. It's become extremely frustrating.)

The stuttering and erratic idling certainly don't help.

Is it a big job to replace the ignition coil? damn car.

C
C
The ignition coil is easy on the 4 cyl, at least. I just replaced mine. Just remember to lable the wires -the coil simply unbolts and lifts away (once you remove the wiring clip on the front of it).

I'm having similar problems with rough idling. I'm going round and round with the thing right now.

95 Contour LX 4 cyl MTX 172K
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I had the exact same problem. Took it to ford dealership-they said the computer was fried. Two days after having the new computer-same problem still existed. Took it back to ford dealership (pissed) they replaced the wiring harness for free. Apparently, the bad wiring harness made the computer go bad. Anyway, problem fixed. Oddly though, check engine light never came on.

98 svt contour 90K black only owner no accidents bilsteins!!
P
Paul9 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
Sheesh...

Doesn't this type of car work at all?

I'll see about cleaning the ignition coil (w/ carb cleaner?). I was also trying to find the gd IAC but it's hidden somewhere. Once I finish with my fuel filter dilemna, I'll do the coil and the IAC.

Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
LoL these cars work great, but with any cars you going to have some kind of a problem. Don't get uppity because you have a used car and an issue

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
P
Paul9 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
oh, I'm so far past uppity.
I'm frustrated that whenever it should begin to work properly again, there's yet one more thing... and it's usually expensive.
But you're right, I should chill - every car does this.

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
What brand of spark plugs did you use? I had nothing but trouble from bosch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard