Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone has an ideas on a strut/spring combo that would keep my ride height where it is, or drop it by no more than an inch and maitain the handling of CSVT at stock or just a little stiffer.

The roads where I live in are total crap, so I don't want to be driving a go-cart to work every day. On the other hand I would like to maintain the level of handling that I had when I bought my CSVT at the very least.

There are a number of combos out there that I have seen does anyone have any ideas on what to get?

Thanks,
T.O.

'98 Contour SVT '97 Cobra SVT '99 Taurus SHO
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
New CSVT setup

~Alex Ex- SVT Driver627 MUST SELL!!!LOCAL: Pre-98 MOLDED trunk Polk db speakers Corolla parts LED Underbody Kit PM 2000 Green CSVT gone on 2/17/06 2001 Toyota Corolla (SHE RUNS!!!) 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
You just described the BAT kit. Buy it now, come back in a week and tell us how great it is. $600+ship.

To do it right, also get these items. They will help provide a nice total package that handles better all-around.

BAT 21mm rear swaybar, or swaybar from the group buy. This helps balance the car better, giving it a tighter feel with less body roll. $100-200, depending on which bar, and whether you get endlinks from Stazi (recommended)

New front control arms. Your bushings/ball joints are probably hurting. It's not a bad idea to do these at the same time as the suspension. $100 for both.

Camber/caster kit. This will run you $150 or so with the new plates that won't bend. This lets you keep your suspension aligned properly for better handling. Very easy to install with suspension, but a real pain later.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
F
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
F
Auto-X.. excellent info... It looks like can get all of those pieces for the CSVT from Bat... correct? or is there a better place for parts?

Last question: using the Bat struts with the Stock CSVT coils (I don't want it lower) will be fine correct? the wording on BAT's website was a little vague.

Thanks.

Rob W

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Do you have to replace the front LCAs when putting in new bushings?

Justin 1999 Ford SVT Contour (T-Red) Cardomain site
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
BAT struts on SVT springs should be fine. However, the kit is a great buy, with decent quality progessive springs that will drop you only slightly. I live on horrible dirt roads and wouldn't think twice about that drop. The Contour has lots of ground clearance, and nothing vital (oil pan, transaxle, etc) hits if you ever bottom.

LCAs - you need to swap the whole assembly. For (most) SVTs, it's the later type, with two bolts holding the LCA to the subframe, which are $100 for the pair (L and R). Early (4 bolt) versions are $100 each side, if you're lucky.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
F
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
F
thanks... my SCSVT has 215/40/17's *(which are too short on the sidewall) with a somewhat ricey-looking wheel (previous owner).When I replace the 215/40's with 215/45's or maybe 225/45's will fill the wheel wells up & thus I really don't want the drop... I use the car for a 2nd work/sales vehicle & I am on really bad highway & sencdary roads often.

I have the easy LCA's (2 bolt per side-- I checked).. so I guess I will be sending some $$ BAT's way very soon..

Anyone know the actual lowering measureof the bat's??

Rob W

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
it's 1"

start searching, there is a TON of info in old posts.

The BAT kit is a serious handling improvement with excellent ride quality. If you don't drive hard, you might like going back to SVT wheels with 205/55R16 tires, keeping your stock springs, and getting Konis or BAT struts. The extra .5" of rubber will help a lot.

F
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
F
thanks Auto-X... I have been scouring the back posts.. finding lots of "conflict" as seems to be the norm on this particular forum...

thanks for the clear, decisive answer.

Rob W

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
For those who have it installed, how's the driveability of the Koni Kit (struts full soft)?

CSVT Feels Like Heaven Goes Like Hell Profile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard