Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Anyone know of a version of Linux, that will work on a Macintosh. It's a PowerBook actually, PowerBook 1400cs. 64 MB RAM, 117 MHz CPU, Global Village PCMCIA PlatinumPro Ethernet/Dialup Modem. Currently has Mac OS 7.6.1, and soon to be getting a replacement CD ROM Module. I just got this sucker fixed up, and now I am ready to have fun with it, the thing has long battery life, and I like the feel of it

I'm looking into the Mandrake 9.1 for PPC, but wondering if anything is out there and preferred over it

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
http://distrowatch.com/ is your freinds when wanting to try different versions of linux

can't really help you an further because every body has there own taste in linux

what works for me may be to much or to little for you manrake
is good but never used it or a mac

1996 zetec atx 19.3381 at 71.51 mph 1/4 mile click me for an interesting sitea wbsite you should check outjoined the 100k+ club 5/21/06
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I thought Yellow Dog was the only PPC-compatible one? Or am I out of date?

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Debian.

>--------------< --Chemguru 99 CSVT Frost /Mid. Blue 00 Suzuki SV650 Red, Naked
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Mandrake 9.1 PPC is a pain in the butt to install on older powermacs (grey tower). If the powerbook is the same generation as the early grey tower, it will be a difficult installation including an editing of the mac's boot system. I forget the process because I only tried it once and without success. On newer mac hardware, the ppc version is supposed to be much easier to install.
Also Mandriva (Mandrake) has a new version for install on ppc. That might work better.
http://www1.mandrivalinux.com/en/ftp.php3 << about 1/4 down the page are links to the ppc version of Mandriva 2005. Chances are good that it will install better than older 9.1

'95 'stiqueLS 2.5L ATX S&B / CTA intake KEM Mag-Plus wires 1/4" TH fix Homemade heat shield Xenon bulbs Fog light rewire ATX cooler Flowmaster 942042 Blacked-out pseudo-chrome
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Though 64M ram will not be enough for a GUI/Destop environment. You'll need at least 96M to have a graphical desktop and at least 128M to be able to use it without constantly swearing at it. Then you'll want at least 256M to use it comfortably.

'95 'stiqueLS 2.5L ATX S&B / CTA intake KEM Mag-Plus wires 1/4" TH fix Homemade heat shield Xenon bulbs Fog light rewire ATX cooler Flowmaster 942042 Blacked-out pseudo-chrome
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by PranQster:
Though 64M ram will not be enough for a GUI/Destop environment. You'll need at least 96M to have a graphical desktop and at least 128M to be able to use it without constantly swearing at it. Then you'll want at least 256M to use it comfortably.

Um, the PowerBook 1400 series tops out at 64MB (and the cs, the lowest model, has a passive-matrix screen). With the exception of a potential Sonnet G3 upgrade, that 'book is maxed out. My cousins' 1400c didn't even have the Ethernet upgrade.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Ehh, the PowerBook is annoying me... Got a CD ROM Module hoping it'd have normal connectors to plug the CD ROM into, I do like this powerbook I have right now to fix, Powerbook G3 Pismo 400 MHz, Didnt turn on after sitting off for awhile, got it turned on now, I dont wanna give it up tho

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --

Link Copied to Clipboard