Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Well my car has been running sluggish lately so I decided to do some maintenance work today. Removed the UIM and TB for cleaning, changed the spark plugs(Autolite Double Plats), cleaned the LIM(still on the car), and began to remove the fuel rail/injectors but ran out of time due to darkness. At that point I had unplugged the injectors and relieved pressure from the Shrader valve.
After putting everything back on, I reconnected the battery, then turn the key and stopped 4 or 5 times to prime the fuel system. I then started the car and it ran very choppy, sounding like it was struggling and chugging. At first I thought it was just burning off the throttle body cleaner spray, but after 45 seconds of still idling like that, I shut it off. I then restarted it a few minutes later with it doing the same thing. No CEL appeared.

I will take everything off again tommorow to double check I didnt forget anything, but Im pretty sure I didnt. Ive removed the UIM a few times for cleaning and never had this problem.

Any ideas on what this could be? Any suggestions and comments on what I should look for would be grealty appreciated. The car is a 99 Cougar V6, returnless fuel system.

'99 Cougar V6 ATX MSDS Headers.SHO Shop Ypipe.Trubendz Dual Flowmasters.AEM Intake w/GMK Extension.SVT Upper Intake Manifold.SVT Throttle Body.Custom Burned SuperChip.Ford Racing 9mm Wires.Ford Racing Tranny Cooler. 15.83@87mph
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Check your spark plug wires and fuel injectors wires are in the correct order. I crossed a couple cylinders on the rear bank it chugged like an old VW Beetle! I find seating the plug wires is tricky.

OP Offline
That definetly could be a possibility that never crossed my mind. First thing on my list to check.

'99 Cougar V6 ATX MSDS Headers.SHO Shop Ypipe.Trubendz Dual Flowmasters.AEM Intake w/GMK Extension.SVT Upper Intake Manifold.SVT Throttle Body.Custom Burned SuperChip.Ford Racing 9mm Wires.Ford Racing Tranny Cooler. 15.83@87mph
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
The subject line is a classic.

1999 Toreador Red SVT, DOB 4/22/99, 2005 Of 2760. "Many posted questions are answered by farm boys"
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
..if you sprayed throttle body cleaner into the lim than its prob just that burning off..;..give it some gas it'll go away...

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
OP Offline
It was the wire order. Id like to thank Ford for making the coilpack to plug order so damn complicated lol.

I ended up having wires 3 and 1 criss-crossed. Runs like a champ now. Thanks guys.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You're welcome, now you can enjoy your weekend! Glad to help.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by 99CougarV6:
It was the wire order. Id like to thank Ford for making the coilpack to plug order so damn complicated lol.

I ended up having wires 3 and 1 criss-crossed. Runs like a champ now. Thanks guys.

Join the club. I've done it too.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard