Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
W
Almost 8,000 miles on the SC.
Gettign the temps down is right... that knock sensor sucks during a 7,000rpm 1-2 shift! laugh

As for an accusump.. I have thought about it, but I am actually exploring some other options one of which is converting the oiling system to a dry-sump. More details on that after more research has been finished.
-Mark

You can do something for Love...
You can do something for Money...
But there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of Spite.
GTExtreme1@aol.com
R
Administrator
Administrator
R
Mark, give me a buzz, I may have a line on some oil pan stuff.

It's all about balance.

bcphillips@peoplepc.com
M
OP Offline
M
Wow, all this info. I guess if you are someone who just wants to drive their car around, then the s/c is not something to look at. If you are into racing then sure. Looks like I'll pass on it, and do other mods to give me a few extra hp and be happy with that.

E1 SVT SilverFrost - "QUICKSILVER"

See The Beast Here --> www.quicksilver.50megs.com
M
M
Here's my 2cents on the Vortech SC. It works pretty well improving the power in just about any car. A friends 2K Maxima that was pushing about 200 to the wheels installed a V2 supercharger and now runs 280 Hp to the wheels, this is also through, it hurts me to say it, a auto trany. He has beefed the tranny up as much as he can, but it's life is not long for this world. He's going to swap it out with a 6spd the new 2K2 Maxima SE are getting. He's yet to finalize all the air fuel ratio problems and such, when he does he will take her to the track andsee what she can do. I estimate it will be mid to lower 13's. Not too bad for a FWD car that is meant to cart groceries around. I love those 4 door sports cars!

J
J
I find alot of information in this post to be helpful, but at the same time confusing. You have some ppl who claim the S/C will not improve 0-60 times or 1/4mile.(First off I find this hard to believe, especially for the 1/4mile) Then there are some ppl who are saying that they dramatically dropped their times. Who is right?

My thought is that any time you do a mod which add SOO much HP 100+ at the wheels how could it not have an impact on 1/4 mile times. 0-60 times might be different but in reality if your shifting correctly you ultimatley reach high RPM's(Since this is where the S/C makes its power) how could it not affect a 0-60 times.

Can someone set me straight or atleast....unconfuse me!!! wink
I think I really just need to take a ride in someones S/C'ed Tour and see for myself. SIMON YOU THERE!!! We need a SE-CEG Meeting soon.

Sorry for such a long post but one more question. What other mods are needed in order to add a S/C(Headers?Chip?...etc)
This should probably be someones last mod...correct?

Thanks

Justin
1998 Black SVT
jcboeckl@unity.ncsu.edu
B
B
confused here. let me help you.

shaving a second or more off your 1/4 mile time is VERY significant.

Peak numbers don't really mean jack for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

think of it like it was a nitrous system, if you don't push the button the power is not there. so as long as the system is not activated you are running with stock hp and tq. Now, the supercharger doesn't really "kick in" until 3500 rpm, and it really isn't make much more power until closer to 5000 rpm. and it doesn't make it's peak power until closer to 7000 rpm. no it is more like turning on a series of nitrous injections, you are adding power, but you are not adding all the power all the time. if it was adding all the power all the time, then yes i would definatly see this car getting into the 12's on a 1/4 mile and low 5's 0-60, probably even less. you have to look at a car's dyno plot to understand how the power is being applied. PEAK hp does not really mean much for a 0-60 and 1/4 time on the contour... it does factor in, of course, but you have to look at the flatness of the torque curve and where the hp is being made. if you are making stock horsepower all the way up to 6900 rpm and then all of the sudden you are making 400+hp at 7000rpm, you are not going to improve your times anywhere near as much as you would if you made 400+hp all through the rpm band.

i know this is very oversimplified and probably has many errors in logic due to the over simplifcation, but i think you get the idea...

i am offically a troll... so take my information and advice with a grain of salt.

08/15/2001 - 11/05/2001 : 1999 Ford Contour SVT : 170fwhp - 147.9 fwtq
07/17/2001 - __/__/____ : 2001 Roush Mustang GT Stage 1
11/05/2001 - __/__/____ : 2001 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning
M
OP Offline
M
Exactly my point. For those of us who want a faster 0-60, this information is pretty disheartening. No way am I paying $3700 for a mod that isn't going to do squat for my 0-60 time. Think of all the mods I could do to the Contie with that kind of cash, that could actually be useful. No offense to those that have one, but I don't see a point in having one in, unless you plan on racing. If you just install it, than thats a questionable decision...

E1 SVT SilverFrost - "QUICKSILVER"

See The Beast Here --> www.quicksilver.50megs.com
A
APT Offline
A
If all you do is 0-60, then a supergrarger on your 'Tour is not worth it. Maybe a $2000 muscle car can get you into the 12's. Sure a S/C will help lower times 0- anything, but it greatly improves rolling acceleration, say 30-80mph, or in Mark's case 70-125. With any modification, you have to determine if it matches your driving style and conditions.

G
G3 Offline
G
I'm sure it's been said before, but dollar for dollar a 3.0L conversion will do much more for your 0-60 times than the S/C will. On the street, and especially off the line, torque is king.

That said, from 60-125 mph the S/C will eat most stock or near-stock 3L's.

Also, the S/C puts out tons of power. SVT's already have problems putting power to the ground in stock form. (As the black mark's at the end of my driveway indicate!
laugh ) The S/C just increases the traction problems.

98.5 Silver Frost SVT
Born on 3/25/98
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard