Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hey all. I just bought a 98 SVT Contour and looking at the CEG website has brought up a lot of questions that I don't know answers to. 1. My SVT was made in Oct 97, so does that make it a E0, and if it is, is that more or less desireable than the later 98 model? 2. There are no mods on this car except a K&N filter, and I am considering a Superchip to add to the computer. Now, from the superchip's website, they say that the code is on the computer, and that the code should be fairly standard for all the SVT's built in that year. So why are there such a huge number of codes for SVT's that people are spouting off about in the forums? Also, I've heard things about the superchip falling off and getting dirty contacts and therefore causing the car to quit, plus things like the chip sacrifices high end HP for low end TQ. I've also seen posts that claim the superchip has given them no problems and that the performance is great. What's the truth? Any definitive answers? A friend of mine has a stock (except for K&N and mod'ed turbo waste gate) 5-spd 88 T-bird turbo coupe and the chip totally helped his car all across the board, with no problems at all! I don't know what to believe about this. I really want to do some mods to increase performance and handling... but I can't do huge projects because this is my daily driver and I don't really have the time, so any suggestions about easy things to do with the car that will help performance would be awesome! Thanks in advance for any help!null

I heed the call of the curb
K
K
Hi Sam-

Welcome to the CEG. Your question is not uncommon for new members on the board. Almost everything you will ever need to know can be obtained by using the search function at the top of your screen. As far as my opinioin of the superchip, I think that your money would be much more wisely spent on a different modification. Computer upgrades are done when you believe to be finished modifying so you can tune your chip to those upgrades. The standard program may not cover those. Look into exhaust upgrades. Consistantly members find those the most helpful.

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
S
OP Offline
S
I am aware of the search feature, and that was what prompted me to start this thread, as the threads I looked at couldn't really give me any definitive answers, just more questions. (Sigh) Can anyone help or am I to flounder in ignorance?

M
MLT Offline
M
Go for an open element air filter, and the SHO y-Pipe. Guaranteed results. Superchip is hit and miss depending on the computer code that your car has.

My 2 cents.

S
OP Offline
S
What exactly is a sho y pipe... I mean whats the advantage? Is it larger pipe or what? And whats the deal on the computer codes? Thanks by the way smile

A
A
Yea, what Keyser said. Exhaust mods. Then get a strut tower brace. So far that has been my biggest bang for the buck.

99 SVT running 10/10ths 9/10ths of the time. Member SVTOA!
Tropic Green, KKM Pedal Covers, K&N filter, Red Brake Calipers, PaceSetter Monza Resonator Tips, SHOshop rear strut brace, new AC compressor at 11k mi (brrrr), door guards removed, Nitto 450's.

Excuse me waitress, what's the soup du'jour?
It's the soup of the day.
Mmmm, that sounds good. I'll have that.
S
OP Offline
S
Also, whats the cutoff date for the E0's and whats diffrent between them and the later 98's?

S
S
2/9/98 cut off for E0 to E1, only cosmetic changes.

Here are a few links to get you started.

Toadster's Roundup

Main CEG links

Don't be afraid to ask after using the helpful search function.

K
K
11/14/97 build date I believe is the cut off.
I apologize Sam if you mistook my first message as sarcasm. My intentions were good. If you look under your car you will see a y -pipe that makes a radical 180 bend. Although Fords engineering was decent the building of this piece was not. The collector at the base of the y is crushed together causing a restrictive flow of exhaust. You have a k&n intake but your exhasut is slower than the air coming in. See what I mean. More flow out= more flow in = more power.

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
S
OP Offline
S
ahhhh thanks! so going down to my local perf. exhaust shop and having some custom tubing done will help that immediately! hmmm... ive heard that the later E1s had better rear suspension? is this true?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard