Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
chbix Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Ok i got into a "discussion" with my wife and mother inlaw about my contour.

I was driving around with the windows down and the air off. The monster in law in the back seat asked why I didnt turn on the air, my wife quickly anwsers because he wants more power while he is tooling around. I said no it was because I was smoking and didnt want to run the air with all the windows down. Anyway we get into a big argument about this stupid little thing.

So it got me thinking. I know that in some cars there is a noticable difference in accelaeration and power loss with the ac on, I have noticed a little bit in our contours as well.

So my question is this, has anyone ran a test on a dyno, or even at the drags that compares a run with the AC vs one without?

THose that track and dyno, I assume you run with the AC off.

Any input?

1996 Contour V6 2.5L 24V 5 speed Shift knob: pilot Nickel Metallic Millennium Plus Series Foglights: Pilot Pictures: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/787584
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
It's pretty minimal. Maybe a couple hp. You'll get just as good mileage with the AC on vs. windows down (better at higher speeds), so that says it's not huge.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I'm very dubious about the claim that the loss is minimal. To me it feels like a LOT of power. Has anyone measured it?

. . . Two zetec Contours, two blown head gaskets... for some reason I have a Japanese car now. anybody in California want a Diehard Gold 100 month battery? inquire by PM.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
TECHNICALLY.. WOT cutout would disable the compressor while at WOT, but that would be a little delayed.

The A/C uses about 10% of your gas mileage (expect a 10% decrease) if you use it all the time. doesn't matter what setting. on is on.

As for HP, I wouldn't know, for sure, but I would estimate about 8hp, or perhaps 10?

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Maybe even more than ten, the A/C seems to really cripple the performance. I wonder if this has ever been tested.

1999 Toreador Red SVT, DOB 4/22/99, 2005 Of 2760. "Many posted questions are answered by farm boys"
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by cheapest GL around:
I'm very dubious about the claim that the loss is minimal. To me it feels like a LOT of power. Has anyone measured it?

Are you driving a Zetec? At 5hp it would be 4.0% loss on the Zetec, and 2.9% loss on the Duratec. However, at normal driving rpms, the difference could be much more.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
This is a good point, the A/C draws it's power at all RPMS. I would think it would steal more power as you drive it faster.

The other draw is electrical. When the A/C comes on, the electric fans are usually commanded on, as well as the blower motor. So you put more load on the alternator as well.

Finally, add that you use the A/C when it's hot and your engine makes less power in hot weather and you really feel the loss of the A/C

FWIW,

TB

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
You guys must be joking me! At idle in "D" the AC on my Mystique literally puts the engine into such a low RPM rating that my teeth clatter together! When I actually use it(almost never)I have to either switch the gear to neutral at stops or shut off the system. I easily lose around 2-300 RPM by running AC. Thus I roll with windows down.

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by MadMerc97:
You guys must be joking me! At idle in "D" the AC on my Mystique literally puts the engine into such a low RPM rating that my teeth clatter together! When I actually use it(almost never)I have to either switch the gear to neutral at stops or shut off the system. I easily lose around 2-300 RPM by running AC. Thus I roll with windows down.

That's because your idle air control sounds like it's bad. Clean it up or change it and you shouldn't get this problem. I also agree that there is a noticable drop in gas mileage with the A/C on. Of course, once you go over 45-50 MPH with the windows down, the drag seems to hurt the mileage just as much. Usually, I turn the A/C on the highway, and run with the windows down if I am just tooling downtown or around the neighborhood.

2000 Contour SE
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Myth busters did a show a while back on the mileage effects of a/c vs. windows down. IIRC, having the windows down ended up getting alot better mileage than the a/c. The test cars were identical Explorers.

As far as hp loss, I'd guess that its at least 15hp. Its very noticable and probably the worst of any car I've ever owned.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard