Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
I got a bargain priced fixer-upper '96 GL with the Zetec. I've done a lot of the fixing-upping, but one issue that isn't fixed-upped is the tranny. It works, but it keeps having symptoms -- thudding on upshifts when hot, for instance. I had someone overhaul the valve body and it didn't cure the problem, so I figure I need to replace it. The car seems to have been used fairly hard and is only worth maybe $1500 even with this problem cured, so buying a new automatic transmission from Ford would be ridiculous -- that much money would be better spent on a newer car. So, I'm thinking of getting a salvaged transmission.

(Ford Parts Online seems to have a replacement tranny for thirty-five dollars, but I'm guessing there's something wrong with their catalog.)

My question is, will an automatic transmission from newer years of Contour fit this car? Or am I restricted to '96 and maybe '97? Could I use something from a Focus or Escape? When shopping for salvage, the range flexibility can make a big difference in whether anything good is available...

. . . Two zetec Contours, two blown head gaskets... for some reason I have a Japanese car now. anybody in California want a Diehard Gold 100 month battery? inquire by PM.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
i know a 2001 cougar atx will work in a 97 contour, been there done that, but im not sure what will work with a 96

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Thanks. From what the parts places say it sounds like everything will work with everything... but I know that they changed the shift lever connection at some point. Maybe that was from 95->96? Hopefully my Chilton book will say.

. . . Two zetec Contours, two blown head gaskets... for some reason I have a Japanese car now. anybody in California want a Diehard Gold 100 month battery? inquire by PM.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I believe you can use a transaxle from any Contour family vehicle up to 1999.
But there are requirements...

The most important one is that the engines have to match...

If it comes from a Zetec, it will only work with a Zetec.
Same goes for a Duratec.

You can cross them from one engine to another but it requires a lot of rebuilding
and replacing parts and clutches to make one transaxle do the job of another.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
I just called a bunch of junkyards and they're all telling me that you can ONLY use a '96, with all the other years the electronics are wrong and use different connector plugs.

I did find one guy who has one, which is available only because another customer backed out, and he wants $700. The quote I got for installation at another place is $800. He's offering a 90 day warranty. I'm trying to decide if this used-up sack of waste matter I'm driving is worth sinking that much money into.

How hard is it to swap a tranny yourself? I pulled an engine once and it took forever, but mostly due to all the little stuff you have to clear out of the way. Maybe the tranny is simpler.

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard