Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Have any of you converted a sealed beam headlamp to a lens/bulb light assembly?

I am trying to do this on the RX-7, and the kit does not fit the light assembly (sticks out too far), even though it's supposed to match the size of the sealed beam.

If you have done this successfully, what was the car/kit you worked with?

Otherwise... has anyone else used the sealed beam SilverStar lights? I have heard good things of the bulb ones (and they looked really good then I checked the connection before attempting reassembly) However, I have heard nothing of the sealed beams...

I would definitely rather go to a lens/bulb, to allow for more choices in the future.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
I put Hella Vision Plus headlamps (their DOT legal H4 headlamps) in my dads S-10 and they dropped in no problem. H4 headlamps should be a direct fit in the bucket unless you got a set from some 3rd rate manufacturer.

There shouldn't be a problem since the RX-7 would have such headlamps in the Japanese/European markets unless Mazda put some wierd headlamp assembly in the North American market.

K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Yup, they just drop in. With H4 bulbs on my Isuzu, about 500% improvement in lighting too. I wish I could have my Hella H4 lamps on my Contour.

Kerry

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760, DMD 98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic, 30V -- SOLD! 91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus Victoria, BC, Canada
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
A friend of mine back in Montana put some cheap-o conversion in his 92 Vette. Hard as crap to put those in and one of the worst patterns I've ever seen (probly 2nd to my 96 Contour that was missing half the lens/reflector after an accident ). But they were bright as hell, so he didn't care.

Back before Silverstars, I put a set of Cool Blue sealed beams in my low beams of my 84 Monte Carlo SS. They were WAY better than stock. I used to not be able to tell if my lights were on in the city, but I could see the pattern like it was pitch black... I assume they worked so well b/c they got to design the lens/reflector and position the light in the perfect spot.

EDIT: found the housings on Ebay. Notice how the "projector" part doesn't work since the top of the H4 lights are painted.

Last edited by Kane; 06/22/05 11:14 PM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
That "projector" lense is strictly for show. If you want to swap sealed beams, go with a quality maker like Hella, Cibie, and IPF.

Link Copied to Clipboard