Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Although I use stock brackets with a heavily modified/strengthened subframe I have seen comments from others who have used different solutions. Really, the stock brackets are not the problem-the bolt up area (socket, as I call it) of the subframe is the weakest link.

The simplest method that I have seen is to buy a complete bushing/bracket assembly from ES, put a bolt through the slot on the subframe socket with a backing washer or plate and a nut and see if that holds. However, on the passenger side there is a fuel line which comes perilously close to the subframe and any lengthening done to the socket/bracket could interfere.

If you go bigger on the rear bar you will HAVE TO reinforce the subframe. Do it sooner, rather than later, and there won't be damage to repair.

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I just put in the bar and didn't worry about it. Just under two years later my mounts cracked. I unbolted the bar, hammerd the mounts back in place, grabbed my mig welder and welded them back up. Then I added a little extra weld to the sides and voila, back in business. Two more years now and no issues. The welded up stock brackets are stronger than before and no need for extra stuff so far.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
N
N
Ok thanks for the feedback guys. I think I will hold off on the rear BAT bar for now. I don't have the time to work on strengthening the sub frame back there or welding the mounts back together should they decide to crack. Was thinking of picking one up since I'll be ordering new plugs and wires from BAT since I'm coming up on 70K. Maybe next year, sounds like it will be a worthwhile upgrade(especially cause I like the twisties!).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard