Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Has anyone had any problems with this bar? Also, how much of a difference does the 19mm/poly bushing upgrade make with stock struts/springs? I have horrible understeer in tight corners when auto-xing, but perfect 4-wheel drifting at higer speeds. At my last race (on an airfield) I hit the rev limiter in 2nd twice during each run, and on those long sweepers the car handled well (45-55mph). There was certainly not too much oversteer, so a little more wouldn't hurt. I also need to learn how to drive, since a lot of my understeer comes when I get greedy on the straights. Does anyone feel the car is too over-steer biased for higher speeds with the Aussie bar or bigger BAT bar?

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
I have the BAT 21mm rear bar with the BAT suspension kit, and I have no oversteer problems at all. I also don't have any real problem with understeer either. The only thing I have found that will get you out of shape is trail braking at fairly high speeds (losing my front brakes at 90+ MPH into a turn at IRP).
From what I have read on CEG you may have issues with the stock swaybar mounts failing over time. I would guess that if your car has been driven through the winter (i.e., the underside is fairly rusty) you are more prone to failure. You may want to consider altering the mounts to prevent against failure.
I would recommend dumping the stock suspension for the BAT kit (or other reputable brand), and I think you will notice a substantial improvement with the way the car performs on the track.

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Yeah, it's pretty rusty under there, which makes me nervous. My current plan is to build it up a little on-car when I throw in the new bar. BAT claims the rings on theirs help with that problem. The fact that you road-race and don't have any issues with oversteer makes me think about a 21mm. And I honestly shouldn't be spending money on a full suspension kit right now, it just wouldn't be living within my means. I'm saving up, thinking about it, but I don't know if I want to sacrifice all my disposable income on one item. OTOH, I have been doing my research, and I'm ready to jump on that new Koni kit when the time comes. I check my springs and struts just about daily hoping for failure. Also, the stock suspension makes the car slower, and tougher to handle, but isn't bad in the same way as the understeer. Understeer is just upsetting me now, and disrupting my improvement, whereas I can improve my driving skills just as much on stock suspension as on Konis. Another consideration is that I live on a bad dirt road and would have to crawl around with the car lowered, although the stiffness would help.

Not that I've given this any thought.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Don't know what you have for tires but better rubber will help you as well. The only thing I can tell you that will help reduce the understeer w/o other mods is to slow down
(easier said than done) and/or get off the gas.

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I have Fuzions, I just posted a review of how they've been doing. They are pretty close to as sticky as real auto-x tires. And I know how to keep from understeering, I just have trouble doing it! It's not the understeer that is the problem, it's that I'd rather have a drift as my failure mode. It's faster and easier to control. Plus, understeer is just not fun. And it's slow. Getting more traction up front is going to be a huge deal for me, I need it!

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
The Fuzions look real promising. They are a Bridgestone brand that was developed with the tuner market it mind. I have my eye on them for when I wear out my Dayton Daytonas which are also a Bridgestone brand. If the Fuzions will wear any where nearly as well as the Daytons have I'll consider them. If not, I'll get Daytons again.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
IIRC, the Daytonas are replaced by the Fuzions.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Nope.

Fuzions are not yet on the Bridgestone web site. Daytonas still are. I was looking it up yesterday.

I suppose that may be the case in some tire shops.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
If you install a bigger rr sway bar it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE that you have the rr subframe modified/strenghtened or you are certain to destroy it otherwise.

I recently removed the complete stock rr suspension on my 96 SE and 1 of the sway bar mounts was bent. This is with the stock 19mm sway bar.

Also, get a set of the stronger 97+ sway bar brackets. They're made from a heavier gauge material and do not give up the ghost as easily as the early ones do.

My rr suspension is pretty well all custom now. Lightweight adjustable tubular toe control arms, boxed main control arms with aluminum bushings, buttressed sway bar sockets, spherical rod end end links, 97 brackets, heavily reinforced subframe.....

Now I need to get after the front.

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
N
N
I'm looking at going with a 21mm BAT bar for my 2000 SVT. I read one post where a fella had problems with his sway bar mounts cracking on an SVT with the 21mm bar. Anybody else have this problem? Someone also mentioned the possibility of stronger mounting brackets being made. Anyone know of any aftermarket brackets?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard